What is the maximum operating capability of a Scubapro MK2?: Your opinion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about ease of breathing? Will cracking pressure be consistent with a balanced second stage with a tank pressure from 3,000-500 psi?

I really didn’t want to answer this because it makes me confront my choices in first stages.

I someone suited you up with you favorite second stage but didn’t let you see the first you would be unlikely to have and idea what first stage was attached.

my first stage choices really come down to hose routing and ease of servicing (to get the hose routing because nothing is easier than a mk2 to service)

I don’t like rotating turrets but I do like the L over the - (90° over the straight 180°)

Eric you need to stop with these posts that make us confront our silliness!

:giggle: :cool::cry:

How about ease of breathing? Will cracking pressure be consistent with a balanced second stage with a tank pressure from 3,000-500 psi?
If you are over 200 feet deep with 500 psi, it might be a good thing to have a little "forced air conservation" going on. LOL

Someone mentioned cold water concerns...

I use the MK2 without any concerns as my emergency bottle for Ice Diving. I'd think the EVO with the coated spring would make it even better!

Might have to watch the used market for one...

What is a "liter" in the l/min you show? Is it a liter at 2900psi, or a liter at atmospheric pressure? I assume it is the second, right?
It is a "normal" liter, at 0°C, 1 bar. These data are on the Scubapro catalog...
As a standard AL80 tank contains roughly 2200 liters, it means that connecting a MK2 and without any second stage the tank is emptied in less than one minute...
Such a massive air flow if far beyond anything you could even need for breathing, at any depth.
Of course, if you use the tank for filling a lift bag, or feeding a "sorbona", then you could possibly need the higher air flow provided by the top-range regulators.

So the reason I bring this up is because a while ago there was a thread about regs and an unbalanced MK2 came up in the discussion. Someone swooped in with a remark that an unbalanced MK2 is only good for stage bottles or pony bottles and shouldn’t be used as a primary reg because they do not provide enough flow.
At max recreational depths of 130’ at tank pressures acceptable at that depth, not almost out of air (nobody should be that deep and almost out of air), I say hogwash.
Part of my gripe is that new divers reading this forum who are just basic recreational divers might overlook the MK2 based on erroneous information they read here and miss out on a reg with great performance, simplicity, and durability, for what they are doing.
When I first bought my regs the shop steered me away from a MK2 and sold me a MK20 instead telling me the MK2 was not going to be good enough and I needed better. Well of course now it’s obvious that they were milking me for money, but I could have saved a few bucks and still had a great reg for the diving I was doing.
I’m just trying to blow up a myth about MK2’s not being adequate for new divers looking to get a first reg set. They are great regs at a great value.
For basic recreational dives I think the whole “you must have a balanced 1st stage” thing is a little bit drama queen and overblown.

I dive in 50 degree average ocean waters and freeze up was never mentioned as a thing, I know now it isn’t a thing and never was a thing with scubapro piston regs even down to sea water in the mid 40’s. However, flow through pistons like a MK20 are theoretically more prone to freeze up than a flow by unbalanced piston like a MK2, no?

Question for tech divers: thought experiment.
Would you theoretically use a set of MK2’s on your back mount doubles with confidence? ….with any 2nd stage of your choice, it doesn’t have to be a Scubapro.

Fere data form the Scubapro catalog 2023.
For the MK2 (piston unbalanced):
  • Airflow at 2900psi: 2600 l/min - 92 SCFM
For the MK17-MK19 (diaphragm):
  • Airflow at 2900psi: 6900 l/min - 244 SCFM
For the MK25 (piston balanced):
  • Airflow at 2900psi: 8500 l/min - 301 SCFM
Also consider that the top second stage from Scubapro, the D420, can flow "just" 2000 l/min - 71 CFM. Most other second stages (S600, G260, etc.) can flow only 1800 l/min.
So a MK2 can fulfil its demand without problems. It can be limiting only if feeding TWO D420 simultaneously
Gas density at IP exiting the first stage is still a thing regards depth.. just saying.

Yes, if the second stage is really balanced...
Years ago, indeed, when most second stages were NOT balanced, and there was no SPG, it was considered a good safety measure that when the pressure in the tank was reducing, breathing was becoming progressively more difficult. So you had to pull your reserve rod way before being truly "out of air".
Using a balanced reg, instead, you switched suddenly between breathing normally to not breathing at all, and this can be a problem when diving with a reserve valve and no SPG.

Yes, if the second stage is really balanced...
Years ago, indeed, when most second stages were NOT balanced, and there was no SPG, it was considered a good safety measure that when the pressure in the tank was reducing, breathing was becoming progressively more difficult. So you had to pull your reserve rod way before being truly "out of air".
Using a balanced reg, instead, you switched suddenly between breathing normally to not breathing at all, and this can be a problem when diving with a reserve valve and no SPG.
Yes, thanks.
It's been a while since I climbed back on the boat with less than 750 lbs.
What I'm wondering is if I can expect the same performance from my Scubapro d400 that I get with a balanced Conshelf first. I have no diving experience with an unbalanced first. If there's no appreciable difference I have a nice shiny Mk2 in the basement I'd like to take on my next trip. I know a lot of people don't like the straight through radial hose distribution, but it works for my setup.

Back
Top Bottom