What is the maximum operating capability of a Scubapro MK2?: Your opinion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, thanks.
It's been a while since I climbed back on the boat with less than 750 lbs.
What I'm wondering is if I can expect the same performance from my Scubapro d400 that I get with a balanced Conshelf first. I have no diving experience with an unbalanced first. If there's no appreciable difference I have a nice shiny Mk2 in the basement I'd like to take on my next trip. I know a lot of people don't like the straight through radial hose distribution, but it works for my setup.
The D400 is possibly one of the best regs ever built.
It is fully balanced and you will not perceive any difference using it with the MK2, if you do not breath the tank down to less than 30 bars. Which you should never do....

I purchased a new Mark 2 Evo in Bonaire with the express purpose of using it as my main regulator in my then upcoming Red Sea trip now done. Before taking it on the trip I test dived the set in a 18 feet deep pool and then took it to TRL and completed 4 dives ranging from 60 feet to 140 feet and below the second thermocline in TRL it is COLD! I wanted the Mark 2 Evo for it's legendary reliability and low parts count.

At no point in any of these dives did I note any deficiency in the Mark 2 Evo or the mated up G250 second stages. During my Red Sea trip my maximum depth was 120 feet and several dives were in the range of 1 hour 20 minutes. On a couple of dives I purposely free flowed my secondary to get the tank down below 600 psi and I did not note any stiffness in breathing until around 300 to 400 psi. I used an in water IP gage and found that the IP started at 144 psi (3000-3200 psi in the tank) and at below 600 psi it was right around 128-130. The G250 regulators never knew the difference best I can tell. They were hot tuned to leak slightly with the knob full out at 135 psi IP. So I did have to turn the knobs in about a half turn to stop the hiss on a fresh tank. But, that is how I set my regs anyways.

The Mark 2 Evo is cold water rated and is also 250A approved which means it can support the demands of two divers at 100 feet minimum. It's air delivery (3000 LPM@200 Bar) exceed or at least equals (at least down to 600 psi, not verified on the bench) that of the Conshelf/Core/Legend AL regulator first stages which are per AL listed at 1500LPM.

The Mark 2 Evo has settled in now and I may bump the IP up a little after my hopefully soon Cozumel trip. Or not, it is per spec.

I know a lot of people don't like the straight through radial hose distribution, but it works for my setup.
I am not in the "lot" because I prefer the radial routing for single tank rigs. Radial routing is compact and puts the hoses exactly where I need them.

I had ether the mk2 or g250 freeze on my while shooting a lift bag at 185ft in 39* f water. That's the only time I've had issues.

Question for tech divers: thought experiment.
Would you theoretically use a set of MK2’s on your back mount doubles with confidence? ….with any 2nd stage of your choice, it doesn’t have to be a Scubapro.

I am not tri-mix tech certified. Some of my dive buddies are. They make dives to 300 feet. Okay, at the depth with that much water over my head, make mine a Mark 25 Evo please. Just because. But to 130 feet or even 165 feet, I think a Mark 2 Evo would be fine. I know it would be to 140 feet because I have been there with mine on the Bridge at TRL.

Yes, the road bed is way freaking down there.

I had ether the mk2 or g250 freeze on my while shooting a lift bag at 185ft in 39* f water. That's the only time I've had issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom