What is the PADI "deep" specialty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess everyone gets cranky about the deep spec cuz it's a waste of money. But for me, it was not, cuz i had a good instr that brought me for all the dives to 35-44 metres. He also brought me past 40 metres to get narked, it was fun as it made me realised that tech diving might be a good thing to do.

Now, i'm planning all my courses to go for tech diving. I guess it all boils down to what the instructor is really interested in your diving or your money.

So my 3 cents on PADI, i guess DSAT is not a bad course since my instructor teaches naui,padi and tdi/iantd.

sleepyhead:
I guess everyone gets cranky about the deep spec cuz it's a waste of money. But for me, it was not, cuz i had a good instr that brought me for all the dives to 35-44 metres. He also brought me past 40 metres to get narked, it was fun as it made me realised that tech diving might be a good thing to do.

Now, i'm planning all my courses to go for tech diving. I guess it all boils down to what the instructor is really interested in your diving or your money.

So my 3 cents on PADI, i guess DSAT is not a bad course since my instructor teaches naui,padi and tdi/iantd.

I am no PADI instructor, but if PADI's maximum receational depth is 40m (130ft), then wouldn't it be a violation of PADI teaching standards for the instructor to take a student deeper than 40 m?

RIOceanographer:
I am no PADI instructor, but if PADI's maximum receational depth is 40m (130ft), then wouldn't it be a violation of PADI teaching standards for the instructor to take a student deeper than 40 m?

It depends on whether the student and instructor knows what they are doing clearly.It's no big deal going to 50 m on a tank of air as long as it's only for a taste of what tech diving is about. Besides, we did 4 safety stops on the way up. You can only last that long with a tank of air at 44 metres.

That's why i always say it's the instructor that would make a difference. Actually i wasn't thinking of going onto owsi but i would go all the way and even do a tech inst later on.

sleepyhead:
It depends on whether the student and instructor knows what they are doing clearly.It's no big deal going to 50 m on a tank of air as long as it's only for a taste of what tech diving is about. Besides, we did 4 safety stops on the way up. You can only last that long with a tank of air at 44 metres.

That's why i always say it's the instructor that would make a difference. Actually i wasn't thinking of going onto owsi but i would go all the way and even do a tech inst later on.

Not true at all.

It is absolutely a standards violation to take a student below 130 ft during any PADI recreational class.

It's a totally black and white issue and spelled out as such in the training standards. It's not up to the instructor.

RIOceanographer:

Yes it would be, just as it is for NAUI.

sleepyhead:

Well...thank goodness you have an instructor who knew what they were doing. I mean, not every instructor knows how to safely descend to 165 feet on a single tank. And thank goodness that they fully realize that tech diving is all about going deep and if you can give an OW student a taste of it...they'll definitely want to continue down that path.

I wish you the best of luck with your continued training should you decide to use this instructor for further education.

sleepyhead:
Besides, we did 4 safety stops on the way up. You can only last that long with a tank of air at 44 metres.
bwerb:
Well...thank goodness you have an instructor who knew what they were doing. I mean, not every instructor knows how to safely descend to 165 feet on a single tank. And thank goodness that they fully realize that tech diving is all about going deep and if you can give an OW student a taste of it...they'll definitely want to continue down that path.

I wish you the best of luck with your continued training should you decide to use this instructor for further education.
Oh, come on, Bwerb. Didn't you read, they did four "safety stops"? After all, you can only last that long...
Seriously, I wouldn't worry that this really happened.

Rick...say it isn't so...you mean...gasp...here there be cyberdivers? :D (I need a sarcasm on mode...my last post was made with tongue very firmly in cheek...)

Thank goodness for those safety stops huh!

So...sleepyhead...you have a dive computer download and/or dive log printout of that dive. I'm curious about your profiles and safety stop depths, times. Oh...if you have your gas useage for the dive, I'll take that as well. Sorry, I'm looking for something else, I know, I know, all asking not much giving...I'd also like to know which course it was you were taking at the time that you received the "taste of tech" intro as a part of the curriculum.

Looking forward to your response.

I think I'll sign up for that course! Oh, and bartender, I'll have the same thing as sleepyhead is having!

Rick Inman:
..snip..
Seriously, I wouldn't worry that this really happened.

Why doubt it?
I know a CMAS establishment that does the 2 star deep checkout at 48m.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom