What is the problem with doing a Scuba Review/Refresher?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think folks this has been argued in a cicle from the OP's origonal point.
Their operation relies on the individual divers ability from the moment they drop in.
in THAT situation i can understand their serious concerns.

I read the first half of the thread and the last few pages, apologies to those on pages 11 - 15 that I've not read!

Anyway my tuppence worth.

I'm a relatively inexperienced diver, PADI Rescue certified but only about 100 dives on the log book. When I wnet to the Philippines last November, I booked a proper PADI scuba review because I'd not been diving for a few years. I'm glad I did as I was a little nervous and it gave me the opportunity to dive with an instructor, refresh the skills and get going again. It didnt occur to me NOT to do a scuba review TBH. I'm a geek that read and re-reads the books so it wasn't onerous. When I went diving this Feb in Egypt (there are local rules there that state if you have not dived for a year you must do a review) the dive shop owner took me out for a "check dive" on the "house reef" and it was just that - a pretty dive, we had discussed doing a few skills and agreed to do mask removal and reg recovery. I have no problem demonstrating that I'm safe in the water, after all, the person I'm diving with may have to rely on me if the SHTF.

I was amazed when I was diving in the Philippines how poor some of the other divers skills and control were (far more experienced (so they say) than I am), buoyancy control all over the place and thundering through their air even after a few days to relax. There are a lot of holiday divers out there who are not skilled divers, and really do need watched. If it means that a few experienced divers have to do a quick (and inexpensive) review then so be it.

Back
Top Bottom