what is the recommended SD Card size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool79

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning to buy a SD Card for my wife, I just bought her TG-4, but i am unsure which card size should i get for her. currently i have a 32GD Class 10 SD Card mount onto her camera.

I had set her for to shot in Raw + JPG and for video would be 1080p.

Not sure if she will need 128GB.

It all depends on the camera, your shooting and your download routines. I shoot exclusively raw format, so I need a bit of space. My topside camera is a 12MPx Nikon D300, a 16GB CF card (plus one spare) is enough. My UW camera is a 16 MPx Olympus OM-D, and a 16 MB SD card (plus an 8MB spare) is enough. My wife also shoots raw format, and her camera is a 12MPx Canon S95. She's fine with a 4MB SD card. When I buy the 20MPx Nikon D500, I'll probably go for a 32MB or 64MB card with a second as backup. My GoPro has a 32MB micro-SD card, and I shoot 2.7k30 video.

If you don't download your pics after a session or two, you'll need more than that. If you shoot JPEG, you'll need less. If you shoot more video than I do, you might need more.

For my Tg-4 I use 16 gb for all my trips. 1-3 weeks never had a problem with storage.

When I was using SD cards, I always used 32GB cards.

With CF cards I have both 64GB and 128GB. My D810 raw files are around 75MB each so...

Another train of thought on cards - I prefer more cards to bigger cards. Less data at risk. I shoot JPEG + RAW in a 24 MP camera. 16 in the RAW and 8 in the JPEG lasts at least a day and usually 2. Change out both cards when either is full and lock them until back from the trip. Even with a solid backup plan, I prefer to put the least data at risk from a card failure or loss. Hard to find 8 MPs anymore, so have switched to 16s and 32s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom