What is the Screw Wreck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is listed as one of the dives in Ocean City MD. Has anyone been on this wreck? If anyone could give me a little background, history and present condition it would be great.

Gary Gentile's book will give you the official. Here is the condensed version. Broke down steel vessel that is turtled. Wrekage is continuos and easy to navigate. Lies on a hard sand bottom in an area known for good vis and warmer temps in 80fsw in a hole under a plate. It is popular with bug hunters, spearos, and new divers. It is called the screw wreck cause the giant prop is still intact and large and in charge. Overall a great dive and a good time.

Who are you looking to dive with?

Eric

Gary Gentile's book will give you the official. Here is the condensed version. Broke down steel vessel that is turtled. Wrekage is continuos and easy to navigate. Lies on a hard sand bottom in an area known for good vis and warmer temps in 80fsw in a hole under a plate. It is popular with bug hunters, spearos, and new divers. It is called the screw wreck cause the giant prop is still intact and large and in charge. Overall a great dive and a good time.

Who are you looking to dive with?

Eric

Thanks very much. I do not have a particular dive operator in mind. Do you have any recommendations?

IMHO the only game in town is o.c. diver. It is a 6 pack set up for comfort, berths, has technical diving available, and goes alot of really cool places that other boats do not have numbers for. Plus it's cheaper. It's a win/win.

I am a fixture on her. We need some more players in the 100 fsw or less if you are interested. The screw wreck will prolly be listed on the schedule some where this season. There will also be DD days throughout the summer on Saturdays that are my choice, 100fsw. We go at least 2wice.

The website is ocdiver.com
Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO the only game in town is o.c. diver. It is a 6 pack set up for comfort, berths, has technical diving available, and goes alot of really cool places that other boats do not have numbers for. Plus it's cheaper. It's a win/win.

I am a fixture on her. We need some more players in the 100 fsw or less if you are interested. The screw wreck will prolly be listed on the schedule some where this season. There will also be DD days throughout the summer on Saturdays that are my choice, 100fsw. We go at least 2wice.

The website is ocdiver.com
Eric

Brilliant! I have been wanting to dive some of the local wrecks in MD area so yes I am definitely interested. Ill add you to my buddy list so that we can stay in touch regarding more of these local trips.

OC diveboat has a trip scheduled for 3/17.

I think I was banned for life from that vessel, and have never been on it. LOL I dive dry, but refuse to dive if I am not having fun and March is waaaaay to early for me to have any fun. There is also quite the private boat clique that dives alot in the 100 fsw or less. I will ping you up when things for the season in o.c. start to firm up.
Eric

Count me in too waterpirate (if you're got room for another). I never dove with OCDiver, but I dove several times with Jeremiah on OCDiveboat. I'm looking to dive the Blemmy and Radford this year. So far, my favorite dive (out of Ocean City) is the Marine Electric. And I never dove in anything other than a drysuit off of Ocean City.

:cheers:
Steve

The more the merrier! My comment about Jerimiah was toungue in cheek, lest anyone misinterpret that. He is a good guy with a good boat, it is just does not have anywhere for me to take my afternoon geriatric nap!

I was disapointed when I dove the Radford last year. Other than it being really big, it was still to clean. Reminded me of being in the quarry. It had started to get some growth, so maybe this year it will have some life on it. The Blenny/African queen combo trip is fun,fun,fun!
Eric

The SCREW Wreck aka: "Lightship Wreck" is an awesome dive! Defiantly not one to miss. Like the Marine Electric and as Eric said, the wreck usually holds good viz and warmer temps. On one of our dives there last season we had probably 70+ feet of viz, you could see the bottom of the dive boat from the wreck. There is a large section of wreckage that consist of boilers, steel plates and other debris along with at least one large propeller. (I've been told that there is another but haven't seen it for myself).. That is usually where we hook in.. There is another section of the wreck a couple hundred feet North of the main wreckage pile that you can get too with a long reel if you have the air and some bottom time. If you are spearfishing or lobster hunting it is a great dinner spot with some huge tog that like to hide under the deck plates that are exposed along the bottom.

Its a pretty remote site about a 2 hour run (for us on OC Dive Boat) SE from Ocean City Inlet. Well worth the trip.

The SCREW Wreck aka: "Lightship Wreck" is an awesome dive! Defiantly not one to miss. Like the Marine Electric and as Eric said, the wreck usually holds good viz and warmer temps. On one of our dives there last season we had probably 70+ feet of viz, you could see the bottom of the dive boat from the wreck. There is a large section of wreckage that consist of boilers, steel plates and other debris along with at least one large propeller. (I've been told that there is another but haven't seen it for myself).. That is usually where we hook in.. There is another section of the wreck a couple hundred feet North of the main wreckage pile that you can get too with a long reel if you have the air and some bottom time. If you are spearfishing or lobster hunting it is a great dinner spot with some huge tog that like to hide under the deck plates that are exposed along the bottom.

Its a pretty remote site about a 2 hour run (for us on OC Dive Boat) SE from Ocean City Inlet. Well worth the trip.

Thanks for the info. Vis wise, any particular months where viz is generally better than the others?

Back
Top Bottom