What is this thing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonnyola87

Super Intelligent Shade of the Color Blue
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone know what this is? Two collapsible arms, looks like there was probably a shank in the middle at one point. Doesn’t seem like an anchor.

Attachments

• IMG_7930.jpeg
    IMG_7930.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 149
Might be some kind of a dredge, but more likely an anchor.

For more clarity, the part on the top is actually an eyelet, somewhere you might tie to. So in my mind, it would be upside down for an anchor.

For more clarity, the part on the top is actually an eyelet, somewhere you might tie to. So in my mind, it would be upside down for an anchor.
All small anchors should have that eyelet, it's used to recover it when the anchor get's stuck. The mainline is attached directly to the eyelet and attached to the shaft by a weak link, so in case of fouling the weak link breaks and you pull the anchor up upside down.

All small anchors should have that eyelet, it's used to recover it when the anchor get's stuck. The mainline is attached directly to the eyelet and attached to the shaft by a weak link, so in case of fouling the weak link breaks and you pull the anchor up upside down.
Makes sense. I guess the simplest explanation is it’s just an anchor, just a style I’ve never seen.

That is a collapsible grapple anchor. They are rare as I've only seen them from the 30s and 40s vintage.

It's a Northill style Anchor with one tang broken. I see them most commonly in the Carolinas. Some are collapsible, as is the one shown below.

Others are solid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom