What is up with the weather in Bonaire lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just got back from Bonaire (sitting in Atlanta right now for a connecting flight), sure it was cloudy a few days and we even saw a small amount of rain. None of it slowed down the diving one iota. I wouldn't worry about it for a second.

(From Lewiston) I was there last week. It was a little unusually breezy even for Bonaire (or so I was told). We did get a couple of drops of rain on the windshield, but that lasted for about 30 seconds. Sky was a little cloudy for a couple of days but the weather over all was great, even on the semi-cloudy days. I really didn't even notice the weather except my arm hanging out the drivers side window got fried. We did run into a group from Spokane at Karpata one morning.

Nice to hear from a local of the inland NW! And also interesting that you ran into a group from Spokane. It is a small world. I'm glad that the weather was great for your trip too!

Well it's not Global Warming! If you look at the weather report for most small islands off of larger land mass the weather in that of the land mass and not the island! It's the same for Islands like Roatan and Cozumel! The weather stations are on the larger land masses not islands typically! If you check on Roatan it will always say 30% or 50% with no rain a t all! The island has to have enough land mass to build thunderheads and create rain! The Best example I can think of would be the island of Utilia right next to Roatan and it is a desert island compared to Roatan because it doesn't have as much land mass! So you're not getting the real weather from the internet when you check Bonaire! So nothing is up!

Interesting point about the weather stations and such. But in general the reports I have gotten from folks who were just there, and the live webcam images pretty much confirm for me that the local forecasts have been relatively accurate in this case. It seems that Bonaire has been experiencing some cloudy weather and occasional sprinkles of rain. As for whether or not the pattern is unusual for this time of year, I don't know, but it may make me feel better if I can blame it on global warming rather than plain old poor timing. Either way I'm sure it will be great, but I'm still holding out hope for some clear days, or parts of days, for optimal UW photography lighting. :crafty:

We just got back from Bonaire (sitting in Atlanta right now for a connecting flight), sure it was cloudy a few days and we even saw a small amount of rain. None of it slowed down the diving one iota. I wouldn't worry about it for a second.

Welcome back to the states, and thanks for the weather update!

Ya - It was kind of funny. After talking for a short time we asked the group where they were from and all one of them said was "Spokane". As if someone from the rest of the world would know where Spokane was - Well it turned out we sure did. We also passed up one dive site becuase of 4 or 5 pu already there so we went to the next. A couple was getting out of the water and after talking with them for awhile we noticed he was wearing a spud man tee shirt. We thought the only person to wear a spud tee shirt would be a southern Idahoan. They were from southern Idaho. Small world for sure.

You can also check out Caribbean Hurricane Network - stormCARIB.com - Local Reports on Tropical Systems threatening the Caribbean Islands It has maps of the caribbean and "weather spotters" from all the islands to let you know what is actually up.

Over the last few days it has been very overcast, but bright. At times it has looked like it was going to rain, but nothing (at least north of Kralendijk). We still have a wind, but slight, not as stong as last week.

You can also check out Caribbean Hurricane Network - stormCARIB.com - Local Reports on Tropical Systems threatening the Caribbean Islands It has maps of the caribbean and "weather spotters" from all the islands to let you know what is actually up.

Over the last few days it has been very overcast, but bright. At times it has looked like it was going to rain, but nothing (at least north of Kralendijk). We still have a wind, but slight, not as stong as last week.

Thanks for the link and local weather report!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom