What is your reg configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

short for technical - divers that go where we dare not to go.... for long periods of time six plus hour dives etc.:shakehead:

Defiantly not for me but they do safety drills and dive recreational with the same kits:wink:

Well, I "dare go there" on a regular basis...

What I meant was the configuration that you say your dad and his "tech team" use sure ain't what most tech divers use

:D

What I meant was the configuration that you say your dad and his "tech team" use sure ain't what most tech divers use

:D

They use two separate regs one with a short hose and a necklace, one with a five or seven foot long hose depending on the dive ie: wrecks or caves which is passed as a octo in S drills etc. One SPG mounted on the left. How do you mount yours?:popcorn:

Did you ask all those folks that have it on the left?

I did ask the instructor who worked here when the equipment arrived .... Their answer was just "that's the way we always did it."

I also asked the manufacturer because the way their 1st stage is set up the ports are different sizes for the low pressure hoses. They sent the hoses so that you would have to do a left hand setup - the ports aren't interchangeable unless I order new hoses. (The octo hoses are all yellow.)

Many years ago, this is what NASDS taught...

Hey, I almost forgot that. In 1977, our NASDS instructor called it a "left handed octopus" He had the only one. The rest of use were to buddy breathe.

NASDS was in cahoots with Scubapro at the time. (Some folks said Scubapro owned NASDS.) Scubapro probably had something to do with that configuration.

They use two separate regs one with a short hose and a necklace, one with a five or seven foot long hose depending on the dive ie: wrecks or caves which is passed as a octo in S drills etc. One SPG mounted on the left. How do you mount yours?:popcorn:

You threw me with the way you described the reg on the "long hose (octo for me) clipped on the right side" and a "console on the left same as me."

short for technical - divers that go where we dare not to go.... for long periods of time six plus hour dives etc.:shakehead:

Defiantly not for me but they do safety drills and dive recreational with the same kits:wink:

Six hour dives ?

I had it on the left, but it wasn't a conscious decision, I simply forgot and my memory was telling me the normal config was on the left (I had my SPG on the right to compensate).

The biggest problem is my reg wasn't meant to be screwed into the left, so when I grabbed it I basically had to twist the hose into an S type shape just so it wasn't upside down. But overall it just wasn't very good either. Needless to say, I switched it pretty quickly (now air and inflator on left, both regs on right))

short for technical - divers that go where we dare not to go....
Is that really your dad's definition of a technical diver? :rofl3:

I guess if there are any divers in Newark, they're technical divers. :wink:

I dive with my Dad and his tech dive team from time to time, they all have there regs with the long hose (octo for me) clipped on the right side console on the left same as me - like you said it creates too much clutter on the left with the inflator and console not to mention the addition of a pony or stage bottle side mounted on the left. I have never heard of standard left rigging either? Come to think of it all of their backup is on the right second BC hose etc.

I would dive with your kit the way that works for you and explain the emergency donning procedure to your buddy in your pre-dive briefing.

Find out what the reasoning is and let us know- there is always a better way to build a mouse trap LOL:D

My primary reg and inflator hose is on the right 1st stage (I do not dive with a long hose) my back up reg, drysuit hose (backup inflation) and SPG in on the left first stage but do not think this was the OPG's question.

when I dive a single tank my regs are on the right outlets of the 1st stage, my spg, inflator and drysuit hose are on the left outlets of the first stage think this is what the OP was asking.

short for technical - divers that go where we dare not to go.... for long periods of time six plus hour dives etc. Defiantly not for me but they do safety drills and dive recreational with the same kits

Oh and six hour dive since when has that been a Tech dive? I mean you could dive in 25 ft of water for six hours so whats with that, unless you mean diving in the East Coast of the continental US is regarded as a Tech dive ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom