What jewelry do you wear while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only my wedding and engagement rings (they don't come off easily over knobby knuckles) and occasionally a pair of stud earrings if I forget to take them off. When I see a barracuda I tuck my hands in just in case, but it's never been really necessary. Mostly I save the jewelry for evening.

Dive watch, nothing else. Almost lost a diamond stud on a dive. Screw back, but somehow the back came off. For some reason I reached up to check the earring and found it half way out. I removed it and held it for the last 30 minutes of the dive. Trying to board a boat one handed and not drop the earring no fun, neither was the grief I got from my dive buddy.

I recognize this is a female thread = but I have a wife and 4 daughters ...All very long term divers of around 35 to 40 years experience.

At a recent family gathering the tribe was admiring my wife and my dive flag rings which I described earlier in this tread.

We indicated it was our traveling wedding band for national and international dive and vacation trips.

My daughter #2 Dr.Randi stated that she never takes jewelry on a trip. She told the story of when she became engaged on a balloon trip over the Napa Valley. In a nano second after the ring was placed on her finger the pilot of the balloon whipped out a band aid to secure the ring. Apparently so many rings are ill fitting and the future brides in the excitement of the moment manage to some how toss the ring over board.

Son Dr Sam IV, who is a ER & Scrips trained hyperbaric doctor stated he was going to also order two dive flag rings as traveling wedding bands

He recalled his college days when he worked as a deck hand on a SoCal dive boat. On one trip he had to do a rescue and in the process lost his treasured Eagle Scout ring.

He also brought up a very mute point...If the need for a chamber ride is necessary (lets hope its Not Required) all metal jewelry must be removed before entering the chamber. In the excitement and rush for RX rings and other jewelry can be rapidly removed with the possibility of loss.

A parting thought ...Cold water also makes body tissue shrink, including the rings finders.

SDM111

My xdeep black and bottom timer at right arm... [emoji14] and old belly piercing stays somewhere under drysuit and underlayers. Always leaving wedding rings and earrings home, even that I have most often drygloves and thick hood.

Sent from my SM-G350 using Tapatalk

I don't find it worth the risk of losing something or much worse, forgetting that I have an earring and damaging my neck seal on it. My brother lost his wedding ring while snorkeling. I've never understood people whose rings are easily removed that nonetheless want to wear the ring while gardening, making food, etc.
I'm also used to the idea of removing rings because our farm workers are forbidden to wear them at work (dangerous while working and unsanitary when milking) and as a chef my husband also cannot wear rings at work because health & safety regulations forbid it.
If I drive to a dive site I might wear jewelry the rest of the day but when I put on my suit I take all jewelery off and leave it in the car's cupholder or in my coinpurse. I don't take any expensive jewelry on a liveaboard trip, not even a wedding- or engagement ring.

Last edited:
Just for fun, I bought a cubic zirconia ring to wear on vacation. I've never had it on while diving - I suspect that the salt might just eat through whatever metal it's made of! But it's fun to have to wear out of the water! A little fake bling bling. :D

I was snorkeling with my wife and almost lost my wedding band. It slipped off my finger and fell into the sand at the bottom.

More likely to lose jewelry than to have a fish try to bite it off, from my experience.

None, I leave all my jewelry at home when I travel. I normally wear diamond stud earrings that I don't take off. They have screw backs so I thought I could leave them in while diving. I came up from a dive without the back of one earring!! Fortunately I didn't lose the stud (would have been a very expensive dive has that happened), so now I leave my earrings in my safe at home.

I recently went on a girls dive trip to Cozumel and I saw lots of jewelry during dives. One woman wore several rings - another wore dangly earrings - I was wearing a necklace that is completely hidden under my wetsuit, and also my wedding band. I was thinking about wearing a pair of silver earrings and my husband is giving me grief about them attracting barracuda or sharks. Partly he's pulling my leg, but I have read that shiny stuff can attract fish. But guess what? My D-rings are shiny too!

Opinions?

None. I am not trying to impress anyone down there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom