What kind of Black Friday deals should be expected?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do you even need to suggest it? Can you look at the H-75P against a MK25 and even begin to suggest that it isn't a copy?

If you want that style, turret piston, the Hog BP2 is the way to go from a cost standpoint, they are rather uncommon, but the GUE guys seem to like them.

I think Halcyon H-50D is an MK17 as well. It's got to be just a legit rebadge or licensed copy. I'm sure scubapro would litigate otherwise.

I think Halcyon H-50D is an MK17 as well. It's got to be just a legit rebadge or licensed copy. I'm sure scubapro would litigate otherwise.

That is, Halcyon regulators are NOT "copies" of Scubapro regulators?

Last edited:
it isn't rebadged, and they couldn't litigate, they are different enough, but it is a blatant copy of that design concept. Nothing wrong with doing that obviously, but since the MK25 was one of the DIR first stages of choice it only makes sense that they copied it when they made their own. Again, nothing against it, though I certainly wouldn't buy a H over the SP, but the HOG BP2 likely comes out of the same factory as the H-75P

they could, but I didn't think they did. I thought the castings were different and they were made in another factory. Could be wrong, but that is what I heard when they came out.

Doesn't Scubapro actually make these regs for H?

Sent from my Underwood typewriter

Scubapro doesn't manufacture regulators.

Scubapro (and many other) regulators are manufactured to their specs by a company called Tabata. Scubapro designs a regulator, sends them the design, and then have some amount of time with exclusive rights to that design. Often they license older designs to various companies, one common one is TUSA which stands for tabata U.S.A. Since they've already been making the designs, it's very easy for them to change a few cosmetic things and build a more-or-less identical reg and sell it themselves. I'm sure the Halcyon regs are licensed copies of the MK25 G250. Scubapro no longer sells the G250, one of the more recent in a line of bad decisions by the company.

Getting back to the OP, if you want a MK25/S600 but don't want to pay a high price, get a used one. They're all over the place, those are very durable and trouble free regulators with good parts availability and a lot of dealers with technicians of varying quality. The warranty of new regulators is a joke...you end up spending more in 'required' service than you do on the regulator, just to keep the stupid warranty in place.

Don't worry in the slightest about ebay rebuild kits being a few years old. EDPM o-rings have a very long shelf life, I've seen MK25 seats that must be over 10 years old that look and work perfectly, and those regulators only need to be rebuilt maybe after about 200 dives (maybe more) as long as they are cleaned well after salt water use and stored well. That's often 4-5 years for a typical recreational diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom