What kind of logbook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I looked at a bunch of different log book formats, and eventually settled on blank paper cut to fit in my small binder. I log essentially the same details on every dive, I don't waste space with unnecessary items, and can always find space for whatever seems relevant.

I created an Excel sheet to record what I want the way I want it and to do some statistics. Each year I copy the format for a fresh work sheet so it's all indexed. I also have some worksheets with buddy contact info, gear info and a table of weights for skin/scuba/ salt/fresh and my many exposure suit combination's. It ends up being white an archive. I keep a hard copy printed in a binder for reference and I'm able to archive soft versions in multiple location's and can transmit it easily if desired.

It works for me.

Pete

I like the ScubaPro log books, which are available at some dive shops. It's waterproof, and more or less allows freenotes-- you write down what's important to you. I don't like logs like PADI which have too many fixed icons, as I store the profiles anyway in Suunto Dive Manager.

The logbook is also a good size, I don't like ones that have a lot of dives, in case of loss.

Adam

Funny, I just picked up my 4th red book from PADI.

I use the red PADI log book (way too expensive, it's the last one I buy) to show proof (???) of experience when diving in the south, in case I'm asked.

I wonder if I'll need to show it when I go to Florida next fall?

People still use log books?

:confused:

I used a paper log for the first 70 or so dives but switched over to an online logbook (at www.diverecord.com) which allows me to export my logs from there. I much prefer typing to writing so prefer a computer-based logbook. It means I can access it from any net connection and download my dives if I need to show my logbook for whatever reason.

One of my buddies has the best logbook I've seen. It is paper based with lots of fields, and he draws detailed maps of the sites we've been too and has lots of info about facilities and things like that. I like to read over it now and then :)

Started with PADI blue, then red, then considered, "Why bother?" Settled on a compromise--a 3"x4" lined diary-type notebook with a thin cardboard cover. I typically record 4 dives/page, each with minimal info (dive #, name, place, date, wetsuit thickness, water temp and my reaction to it) plus anything interesting that happened or was seen. Occasional info about restaurants, dive ops, accommodations, etc., added as seems useful for future reference.

I've stuck with the PADI logs. I thought about switching but since I'm working towards my DM cert. I figured it's best to stay with PADI. I originally had the larger log sheets that came with my OW crew pack that fit the binder but found the navy blue binder to be a bit large and annoying and later opted to buy the smaller black PADI binder with the smaller pages.

I would encourage any diver to do so.

If you dive multiple configurations it's a good place to store the details of what makes them work just right. Friends I have made, things seen, good times shared and so forth are ill in there. If I ever get too old for this fun it will be a treasured keepsake.

Archiving information for a future certification or for a dive boat is the least of my motivations however it covers those needs too.

Personally I prefer not to have to much information embded in a propretary computer log format. Software changes, computers change I do keep the profiles and other information but my log stands by its self.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom