what lens next

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozza

Registered
Reaction score
got a 60mm nikon and a 10.5 nikon fish eye, any suggestions on the next lens and why?

Personally I went for the 105 macro. Had 10-24 and 60. Found I used the 60 most often and what I was missing was the ability to get really really small stuff without having to be too close. Now most dives are the 60 unless I know it is a macro site then the 105. I only use the 10-24 if I know the dive is wide angle. Not sure I take the 60. Really don't have any desire for another lens.

got a 60mm nikon and a 10.5 nikon fish eye, any suggestions on the next lens and why?

First, two warnings: First, although i have some experience with Nikon lenses and cameras, I don't shoot my Nikon underwater, so I'm lacking some experience (not that lack of experience ever stopped anybody from commenting on a message board). Second, the people I know who do shoot their Nikons underwater tend to use a fisheye lens and a 60mm macro lens 90% of the time, so getting a third lens might not prove that helpful for you.

With that said, I'd get the Nikon AF-S 105mm f/2.8 VR Micro.

You have a good wideangle lens, and a good lens for fish portraits or macro of stuff that doesn't move. The drawback I see in your lens bag is the lack of a lens for shy macro critters, which is why I recommend the 105mm macro lens. This will also let you get supermacro images with the cropped sensor camera that I assume you use with the 10.5mm lens.

Other options are getting a wideangle zoom or a midrange zoom. I think the 10.5mm is a great lens (it's popular among photo contest winners, while the Tokina 10-17 is more popular among people not winning those contests, at least in my experience). I also think that the 60mm is a good all-purpose lens. Instead of getting a mid-range zoom, I'd recommend using the 60mm and zooming with your fins.

Really depends on what you like shooting and where you dive. I love Wide Angle but I live in low viz, cold water area. So the 105mm is a great lens but not very practical for our area.

For underwater use a very "typical" mix seems to be:

Nikon 60mm
Tokina 10-17mm add a 1.4 tele to this for fish Eye Macro. (I have the 10.5 but have not used it since I bought the 10-17mm and am going to sell it)
Sigma 17-70mm, excellent all around lens
Nikon 105mm

If you already have a 10.5 and 60 Id suggest the 105VR for sure. Depending on what you do for wide angle, you might also look at going to the Tokina 10-17 for some versatility.

Well I am going with alot of other peoples comments already.

I use my 10-17 Tokina and 60mm Macro 95% of the time. I also bought a 105mm AFD macro very cheap and use it once in a blue moon. Same with my Sigma 17-70mm. But again its where you dive and how you want to shoot which makes the decision at the end of the day.

I dont know much about your setup as you might be better off adding other things to your setup like a nice LED modeling light or having two strobe setup if you havnt already. Another item to look at is close up lenses for your 60mm. Sometimes shoot Supermacro a +4 dioptre makes it all worth while.

Maybe ask other photographers to borrow the lenses which they dont use that often.......to see if its worth spending the money?

Regards Mark

Since you have the old 105 (like me, but I shoot it a lot!) I would suggest the 10-24.
Awesome good lens topside as well.

Good luck!

I shoot mostly in clear water and use the AF-105-VR almost exclusively. To get 1:1 with a 60mm you need to be 3-4in from the critter (lens port-to-subject) while 1:1 with the 105 is 8-9in.

The difference between getting 3-4 inches from a skittish critter and 8-9 inches is huge, trust me.

Why not try a SubSee magnifier and adapter? Get the +10 and +5 diopters and a dual hinged adapter and get all the praises and envy from your fellow divers. You will be surprised what supermacro can do.

Back
Top Bottom