What level of situational awareness is realistic, and what this means in practice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why look when you can listen? Our silent world is anything but. Between the clicking shrimp, boat noises and your buddy constantly breathing, breathing, breathing, there's a lot of audio input down there. Why ignore it?

Because it's darned difficult to hear anything - except perhaps your own exhalations - with a thick layer of neoprene over your ears? :D

Yes, I know this is a cold water diving issue. But it's pretty relevant up in drysuit country. The only solution IMO - unless you're willing to dive solo or same day same ocean 'buddies' is to allocate only a part of your awareness to your shooting. Or bring a couple of good friends who are willing to look after you.

Contrary to normal advice, I started bringing a camera very early in my diving career. I consciously limited my shooting to quick snapshots in full auto, no strobes, to be certain that I retained enough mental bandwidth for the primary task: safe diving. As I got more training, I could progress to a system camera and a couple of strobes, but photography is still my second priority. I try to always make sure to reserve some bandwidth for situational awareness, and so far I haven't had any embarrassing incidents. That approach may work for others as well...

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I was with a group of highly trained GUE divers doing video and was acutely aware of my team and myself, including the black box of death strapped to my back. I would recommend taking a GUE class, it's some of the best training money can buy!

When buddy diving in groups of 2 or 3, and I am leading, which is 80% of my diving, when we go over signals I explain we have a special one that requires acknowledgement. It indicates that we are going to spend a few minutes in this spot. I may be taking a photo or checking something out. I will not be watching them. They need to stay nearby. When we are done doing what ever it is we are doing, we all indicate we are ok and ready to carry on with the dive. This prevents the group from getting separated and also gives an individual the freedom to focus on taking a photograph for a couple minutes. They can also indicate that they wish to stop in a spot for a bit to do something so it is all mutual.

I dive a lot with a camera, and a lot with photographers. A great deal depends, as has already been said, on how the photographers intend to manage the dive. If the purpose of the dive is to produce particular photographs, and the photographer intends to focus intently on doing so, he need minders, not buddies. But for fun diving with a camera, I find that I can be very aware of my buddy's strobes firing, and if they don't fire for a while, I'll look up to see why. If I have a non-photographing buddy, I'll settle in for a couple of shots. If I can see his light, I'll keep shooting . . . if I can't, I'll look up, but I EXPECT that he will be in my general vicinity, scouting for the next photo subject, or just piddling around. SA goes both ways -- the photographer's may be weak for a short period of time, but the non-photographer's isn't, and yes, that person may assume a little more responsibility for not moving off or away while the shutterbug is taking his shots.

I've been diving in teams of photographers and mixed teams of photographers and non for a decade. The ONLY time I've had a problem is if I am the only camera-less person on the team, and the two photographers are not making any effort at all to keep the team together. That can get dicey.

I think that it depends where you are diving. I dive 95% of the time with my wife. When we are below 20m (60 feet ) or in deco mode, we stay VERY VERY Close. Otherwise, we keep an eye on each other but the distance may vary.

I have developed a set of absolute rules for myself (no one else) the first of which is:

1. You are always diving solo no matter how many divers are in the water, or how many buddies you have, or how much experience they have or what you discussed during the dive plan.

Because of that I am always fully equipped and prepared to take complete care of myself especially if doing the more dangerous form of diving - with a "buddy".

Reading a recent thread, a question I've been contemplating has re-surfaced in my mind: when one engages in an activity that requires so much focus, is it realistic to assume the same level of non-stop, full 100% situational awareness as one generally expects of a dive buddy, or not, and if not, should that somehow affect the way the dive is conducted? For example, one often hears that an attentive diver should glance at to confirm their buddy's position several times per minute, and be ready to instantly respond to a distress signal, deploy long hose to donate, etc. Humans are not so great at multi-tasking, and switching focus takes time.... to what extent is it realistic, even with extensive training, when one is taking a shot? And if 100% non-stop awareness is not possible, even with much training and practice, what should one do about this... ensure that there are 2 non-photographers in a group? Or even 2:1 ratio? Or that every diver is self-reliant, equipped, and trained, as if for a solo dive? Or do you think this is simply a non-issue in practice, and no adjustments to dive protocols are needed? If you think common sense suffices, what is common sense to you? Thanks!

I am unsure if this answers your question, but the few pro under-water image-makers I know and dive with dive with a minder when working in anything but the most benign environments. The minder's focus throughout the dive is on the camera person.

The talent, lighting people etc. would all be capable of the dive and the parameters of the dive will have been well rehearsed and roles well-defined before the start of the dive. Often, underwater coms are involved.

I would suggest if you are seriously researching this, contact a few of the pros for their input....

Interesting discussion. Add a current to the situation (e.g. every dive in Cozumel) and even the job of a "minder" becomes problematic.

Unfortunately, I think that most people grossly over-estimate their multi-tasking skills. Just look at the texting-and-driving statistics.

I have developed a set of absolute rules for myself (no one else) the first of which is:

1. You are always diving solo no matter how many divers are in the water, or how many buddies you have, or how much experience they have or what you discussed during the dive plan.

Because of that I am always fully equipped and prepared to take complete care of myself especially if doing the more dangerous form of diving - with a "buddy".

Diving with a buddy isn't dangerous. Diving with a BAD buddy is.

-If my light fails, I won't assume light diving is dangerous, I fix it or replace it with a working one
-If my reg fails, I won't assume diving with a reg is dangerous (lol), I service it and get it in working order
-If my computer/BT fails, I don't assume diving with one is dangerous, I get it fixed/battery changed/replaced
-If my drysuit seal rips, I don't assume drysuit diving is dangerous, I replace it with new seals
-If my fin strap brakes, I don't assume fins are dangerous, I fix it or replace it with new ones
-If my SPG fails, I don't assume SPGs are dangerous, I get it replaced with a working one
-If my buddy fails to be a good buddy, I won't assume ALL buddies are dangerous, that buddy needs to get better training or will be replaced.

Have you read that ridiculous article written by the guy diving the Doria? Even his own examples are clearly illustrated that it is NOT the buddy system failing, it is however bad buddies, like running out of air, really???? Would you really wanna dive with people who can't even monitor their own air?
That's not the system failing, that is the individuals in the system at fault, there are good training available that address the issue.

I agree, diving with dangerous buddies is, well, dangerous. The answer however is not to go solo as being safer than buddy diving, that is an illusion from people who haven't had the fortune to dive with good buddies whom have received the same quality training as you, that makes a solid team!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom