What Makes Someone a Marine Scientist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NW Dive Dawg

SDI / TDS Solo Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am curious as to what qualifies a person to call themselves a Marine Scientist? The most popular definition that I can find online of a "scientist" appears to be "A person who is studying or has expert knowledge of one or more of the natural or physical sciences.". So....... since almost all divers by default have to either study or have knowledge related to the natural or physical sciences of diving..... then most divers are in fact Marine Scientists! Congratulations! Now when your grandkids ask what you do, you can say...... I'm a diver and a Marine Scientist!

I am curious as to what qualifies a person to call themselves a Marine Scientist? The most popular definition that I can find online of a "scientist" appears to be "A person who is studying or has expert knowledge of one or more of the natural or physical sciences.". So....... since almost all divers by default have to either study or have knowledge related to the natural or physical sciences of diving..... then most divers are in fact Marine Scientists! Congratulations! Now when your grandkids ask what you do, you can say...... I'm a diver and a Marine Scientist!
You just say you are one… like George Costanza - easy😉:

F310C0F4-ED33-4ECC-9422-4D88134B6040.gif

Marine science is a broad-ranging field, and you can work in diverse areas, such as:

• biogeochemistry and ecosystems dynamics
  • coastal processes
  • geology and geophysics
  • hydrographic surveying
  • marine biology
  • marine conservation/environmental protection
  • oceanography, ocean modeling and forecasting, and ocean engineering
  • palaeoceanography
  • zoology.
A marine naturalist is anyone with a keen interest in marine life. Typically marine naturalists work as assistants to biologists or as docents in marine programs such as whale watching.

A marine biologist has a bachelor's or master's degree is typically required for entry-level marine biology research jobs, such as those at private research organizations and biotechnology companies. Doctoral degrees are usually required for faculty positions and other jobs that allow you to follow your own research interests.

While several schools offer programs in marine biology, many students graduate with bachelor's degrees in biology, zoology, fisheries, ecology, or other animal sciences. Classes in chemistry, physics, mathematics, and statistics are also important. Classes on public policy, English and writing are also helpful for working on regulatory issues and communicating with others.

The level of knowledge most divers obtain of the "natural or physical sciences" from diving would be equivalent of saying someone is a mathematician because they learnt their times table's.
Totally agree! But I also feel that the level of understanding and study that is required for advanced diving, deco diving, enriched air diving, tri-mix, CCR, ....and basically any level of tech diving.....would qualify that person as being a Marine Scientist...... At least by the definition I am seeing of what a "scientist" is.

For example...... I am a golf scientist! But I really suck at it!

I have a bachelor of science degree in zoology from Oregon State University, but won't call myself a scientist because I am not actively doing aquatic research. However, I do a lot of observational studies using my underwater photography, and so I am calling myself an aquatic naturalist. I do not work with any organization (I'm happily retired) but do enjoy observing what's happening in our local aquatic systems. For instance, in 2015 our Clackamas River really heated up, and this caused a salmon die-off. I documented that with a video, and below is a still from that video.

SeaRat

Attachments

• John with dead Salmon 7-2-2015.jpg
    John with dead Salmon 7-2-2015.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 53
I have a bachelor of science degree in zoology from Oregon State University, but won't call myself a scientist because I am not actively doing aquatic research. However, I do a lot of observational studies using my underwater photography, and so I am calling myself an aquatic naturalist. I do not work with any organization (I'm happily retired) but do enjoy observing what's happening in our local aquatic systems. For instance, in 2015 our Clackamas River really heated up, and this caused a salmon die-off. I documented that with a video, and below is a still from that video.

SeaRat
I would consider you as being a bonafide Marine Scientist.

Totally agree! But I also feel that the level of understanding and study that is required for advanced diving, deco diving, enriched air diving, tri-mix, CCR, ....and basically any level of tech diving.....would qualify that person as being a Marine Scientist...... At least by the definition I am seeing of what a "scientist" is.

For example...... I am a golf scientist! But I really suck at it!
I am everything on your list besides CCR. My partner is actually a marine scientist (marine biology researcher) while I hold a bachelor of Science. I can say with 100% confidence I am not even close to being a marine scientist.

Regarding your definition, I fully disagree. One must have, at the very least, a understanding of the scientific method to be considered a scientist.

Regarding your definition, I fully disagree. One must have, at the very least, a understanding of the scientific method to be considered a scientist.
Hey.... I get it. And it is not at all "my definition". I in no way made up the official "definition" of a scientist. I just Googled it and what I posted is what came up as the most popular and accurate description of what makes a Scientist.

Hey.... I get it. And it is not at all "my definition". I in no way made up the official "definition" of a scientist. I just Googled it and what I posted is what came up as the most popular and accurate description of what makes a Scientist.
"Your" definition as in the definition you quoted. Nothing personal intended.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom