What makes you an experienced diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm inching up on 1000 dives, and there are environments where I am absolutely a novice. I went to West Palm Beach in February, where all the dives are hot drops off boats into strong current. I had to be schooled on when to gear up and where to stand, and still managed to fall off the boat . . . I can't imagine anyone so experienced that there would be no environment where they would feel a bit awkward. Put the 3000 dive Puget Sound person in front of SoCal surf, and they're inexperienced. Put the 3000 dive Virgin Islands instructor in Puget Sound, and he'll be at a loss.

But I do think that if you have several years of diving steadily, in a variety of environments and challenges, and are operating smoothly and without stress in all of them, you can probably count yourself among the experienced divers.

I guess the bottom line is that your either experienced, or really stupid, at the point that you stop asking yourself if you're experienced.

I'm inching up on 1000 dives, and there are environments where I am absolutely a novice. I went to West Palm Beach in February, where all the dives are hot drops off boats into strong current. I had to be schooled on when to gear up and where to stand, and still managed to fall off the boat . . . I can't imagine anyone so experienced that there would be no environment where they would feel a bit awkward. Put the 3000 dive Puget Sound person in front of SoCal surf, and they're inexperienced. Put the 3000 dive Virgin Islands instructor in Puget Sound, and he'll be at a loss.

But I do think that if you have several years of diving steadily, in a variety of environments and challenges, and are operating smoothly and without stress in all of them, you can probably count yourself among the experienced divers.

New England diving IMO is about the closest one can get to the all around diving experience. Depending on the day there could be currents that were never encountered before at X site, cold water, low visibility, heavy surf, deep water, long surfaces swim, wreck diving, ice diving, quarry diving, night diving. Off hand the one thing I can think of that we don’t have here is kelp. The next time I dive kelp will be the 1st time. I’ve never used a rebreather. So after coming up on to 2000 lifetime dives, I’m still lacking some diving experience.

Kelp is actually rather easy, but it is often a humbling experience for "experienced divers" from other waters. Try and dive with a local, and TAKE THEIR ADVICE about how to rig and fix your gear.

As far as rebreathers are concerned, I think I talked about this before: "For what it's worth I suspect that I was a much safer rebreather user back during my first 50 hours. I might not have been able to do much more than maintain position in the water and stay alive, but I was far more vigilant and safety conscious than I am now that I have settled comfortably into being an "experienced beginner." I don't think that open circuit/open water is quite the same."

I guess the bottom line is that your either experienced, or really stupid, at the point that you stop asking yourself if you're experienced.

Yeah, good one. As well, "experienced" can mean different things. In the band I play in we have many clarinet players. Some are young (students, etc.) studying music who are very good players but inexperienced. Some are my age with 40 years of playing experience but suck. And everything in between. Experienced SHOULD mean good at what you do, but not always.

Yeah, good one. As well, "experienced" can mean different things. In the band I play in we have many clarinet players. Some are young (students, etc.) studying music who are very good players but inexperienced. Some are my age with 40 years of playing experience but suck. And everything in between. Experienced SHOULD mean good at what you do, but not always.

Can the really good ones play it underwater?:D

Lets see - Trained in the cold north, have over 100 dives in the cold of the Great Lakes, around 40 in the Bahamas & Bonaire, and I am comfortable in my gear and environment, but I doubt I'd have a clue off Long Island/New Jersey, the Carolina coast, California surf, or the currents of Cozumel. I'm just an average diver..... likely always will be.

My mask will always fit because my head isn't too large.....:coffee:

I was recently updating my profile and under "Dive Classification" you are able to choose what kind of diver you claim yourself to be. This got me wondering what makes someone an experienced diver?

I have over 100 dives, spanning the last 2 years in warm water (tropics), cold water (ice), boat, shore, drift, wreck, etc. As such, I still consider myself a new diver because there are many places that I have not yet dove, and an equal amount of skills that I have not yet mastered. Meanwhile, I have also met divers with more years of dive experience but with less dives as well as divers with more dives and years but only in a limited variety of diving who consider themselves experienced divers.

What is SB's take on qualifying yourself as an experienced diver?

B

The short answer is lots of hours in the water in multiple environments. How many depends on the individual. Some people were born to do this others have to learn through experience. In either case I feel more hours makes a better diver then more training courses.

As others have said, it's relative.I can only think of one common measuring point.
If you can remove your mask after sufacing and NOT have anything hanging from your nose, I would consider this the mark of a seasoned diver.Pre-surface flushing don't count.:D

I have been diving a year. Every chance I get, I take the opportunity to learn, either through a class, a new diving environment, new gear, etc. I spent every minute I can diving. When we go to Mermet, I do 5-7 dives in a day. I am trying to get more in shape so I don't wear out as easy and can do more! I still consider myself new. However, one of the more recent trips, I had two other divers look to me to lead our dives. They asked me questions, and wanted to know my opinion. They made me feel experienced, even if it was just that one day.

Like someone else said, it's something your peers decide. You may know you need to learn more, and we all do. You never stop learning in scuba, but your peers know when to come to you for experience.

Back
Top Bottom