What makes you an experienced diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill, by not diving the high latitudes you're really missing something special, the chance to dive with rather large examples of jelly critters that you'd usually see only from a deep submersible.

Jimi Hendrix
Are You Experienced?

If you can just get your mind together
Then come on across to me
We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise
From the bottom of the sea

But first, are you experienced?
Have you ever been experienced?
Well, I have

I know, I know you probably scream and cry
That your little world won't let you go
But who in your measly little world
Are you trying to prove that
You're made out of gold and, eh, can't be sold

So, are you experienced?
Well, I have

Let me prove you...

Trumpets and violins I can hear in distance
I think they're calling our names
Maybe now you can't hear them, but you will
If you just take hold of my hand

Oh, but are you experienced?
Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful...

At this point in our local season, I really start to feel the need for a break from diving. Now is also when my he bill will roll in from the distributor for the last quarter:shocked2:.
Eric

You're an experienced diver when you can lead an expedition to an unknown and remote location to achieve an objective.

I think that Spazzy hits the nail on the head. There is so much more to diving than going underwater and doing the dive. Look at the other thread about mixing tec and rec on one boat. Experience tells you how to deal with this, but it isn't really about diving skills.

Equally, organising a group of 10 people with widely different skills and wants and the club boat for a weeks diving takes skills reated to diving, but not actual diving skills.

We must remember that experience doesn't mean you are a good diver, it just means that you have had the experience. What you do after the experience is what makes you a good diver.

Jon

Maybe experienced is when you can do a long series of repetitive dives and not discover something new.

I know for me lately, about every 3rd dive I am coming up thinking ‘I suck.’ In fact, just a couple of months ago I thought about selling everything and getting out of diving all together after one dive trip. I am finding myself questioning my gear configurations, my skills, everything…I don’t know why…but after 500 or so dives, I am not experienced…not the diver I want to be…and it’s frustrating.

Semantics here. The only way to really see something new is to go to different places if you can. Yes, you can see more growth on a wreck, or a different fish than before, but you can also walk in the yard and see a new bush spring up. I wouldn't really say that's new.

Maybe experienced is when you can do a long series of repetitive dives and not discover something new.

I know for me lately, about every 3rd dive I am coming up thinking ‘I suck.’ In fact, just a couple of months ago I thought about selling everything and getting out of diving all together after one dive trip. I am finding myself questioning my gear configurations, my skills, everything…I don’t know why…but after 500 or so dives, I am not experienced…not the diver I want to be…and it’s frustrating.

Bummer.
Forget all the skill bulls#*t. Just enjoy the sound of the bubbles. The skills you need for your type of diving, whatever that is, will just follow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom