What mm wetsuit for Maui and Cayman Brac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"I am thinking 5mm full body but am not sure."

I assume you're referring to a one-piece with full sleeves? I think a farmer john with a jacket is more versatile. I don't know if I get cold as easily as you, but I definitely prefer a bit more insulation than other people are generally using. Even in 83 or 84º water I'll wear a 2mm shirty and a polartec suit, plus a polartec hood. Low 70's in Maui and I'd definitely want at least a 3mm wetsuit with a second layer over my core.

I'll guess from your name and 2nd post that you're in Minnesota? As you've discovered even 7mm isn't much for some northern diving. If you get a 5mm farmer john and a 3 or 5 mm jacket you'd probably be fine in CB with just the farmer john, but almost certainly want the jacket in Maui. Considering the two trips in short order, should we assume your budget isn't really tight and might be able to get bit of extra gear? The great thing about a polartec suit is that it won't affect your buoyancy, and with just a bit more should keep you warm in CB. You might be okay with the polartec and a 5mm jacket in Maui, but having the farmer john would be good insurance.

As far as the camera, definitely wait until at least the 2nd trip. Letting a camera (or other things) distract you from buoyancy or air consumption can potentially ruin your day. No telling what dives you'll do in Maui, but your days in CB should be starting with a wall dive that will be too deep for the camera anyway. If you alsao do some snorkeling that's a great time to play with the camera. Without an external flash you'll get much better pictures with good sunlight in shallow water than you would at 30+ feet while diving. AS RJP notes, 60' is probably optimistic. If you pay attention to the manual there's also a time limit of 1 hour. That tells me that Nikon actually expects the camera to leak.

I dive a 3 mm full suit in Maui usually in August. I usually take along 3 mm vest as well just in case. There are times on deeper dives over 45 min I start to feel the cold. Not uncomfortable but noticeable. In the Caribbean I've used both the full suit and the vest only depending on temps.

My daughter only has a 7 mm full. She's 4'11" and gets cold easily. She dives 7 mm full Maui and even last November in the Bahamas. No problems with the cold and was nice and comfortable but not too hot.

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going with a full body 5mm suit for now and hope for the best. I will just take the camera for snorkeling and work on buoyancy for now--which I need to. I may also get a hood to keep my hair tamed. Any other ideas that girls out there are doing to keep their hair under control? Thanks

Reactions: RJP
Consider adding a hooded vest to your 5mm--it can add a lot of warmth if you need it, but doesn't take much space to pack. You could probably leave it at home for your Caymans trip.

I'm with rongoodman. I dive a 3 mm in the 80s and a 5 mm in the 70s. I always have my 5/3 mm hooded vest with me in case my wetsuit is not enough. It's good to be flexible, and good to be warm.

Hawaii will be in the 70s, the 5 mm will be perfect. My wife and I were on Little Cayman last Jan/Feb and the water was right between the high 70s/low 80s, we were among the only warm divers in our 5 mm, especially on the 3rd dive of the day. It's hard to be too warm on a dive and you can always let some water into your wetsuit, not much you can do if you're too cold

Consider adding a hooded vest to your 5mm--it can add a lot of warmth if you need it, but doesn't take much space to pack. You could probably leave it at home for your Caymans trip.

This. Except for the leaving it behind part :)

I used to be a dive guide/instructor on Maui. For the women, 5mm and a hooded vest were best, some of the other guides even wore 7mm full suits with hooded vests, but there were in the water 2-4x / day, 5-7 days/ week.

When ever clients would ask about buying gear after their open water class, I would always recommend a dive computer and a hooded vest. I've had two that I have used over the past 1500ish dives. They tend to last significantly longer than a wetsuit because they are not under the same stresses.

I just went to Mexico to dive last month and left my hooded vest behind. Kicked myself for it the whole time...

Maui is 3 mill full suit water. You can use the same on the Caymans, though the water is warmer there. If you are a tiny little person ( 110 lbs or less) you may wish to consider a 5 mil. But otherwise, 3mm should do.
DivemasterDennis

I like RJP's drysuit idea. I have started using my O'neill drysuit and can't believe how much better the Brac dives are. It's a thin neoprene with shoulder entry that I use in the Great Lakes, some call it a semi dry. It stays dry for me, but there is no air space.

It's always windy on Brac in the winter, and it makes the surface interval comfortable. No more super cooling of the evaporating wet suit. I use to freeze, now am comfy. I don't urinate in it, so it makes that a hassle , but worth it.

Maui is even windier and the water is cooler. Forget the 7mm and 5mm and try something that will keep you warm and allow you to move.. Cheers

Thanks! I'm not so comfortable yet I think I'd consider the drysuit. So--I just shelled out some $ for this Nikon AW120 Coolpix underwater (up to 60ft) camera. I still am thinking of taking it on a shorter shallower dive in Maui but have never used an underwater camera. This ones seems basic but durable. Any advice with this camera? I have absolutely zero experience. Thanks!

Some of the newer cameras have UW settings that help, but there's very little red light as you get deeper, so everything starts looking more and more blue. Even if you don't notice it with your eyes, it's very evident when you look at the pictures later on. Because the onboad flash is very close to the lens, using it will illuminate every speck in the water between the camera and your subject. Just like using your high beams during a Minnesota snowstorm.

If you want to get serious you'll acquire at least a modest external flash, which can be mounted off to the side. For now, take shots without the flash while you're shallow and there's bright sunshine. A good rule is to always be close to your subject, but that will be even more important if you do use the onboard flash when you're deeper. The great thing about digital is you can take hundreds of shots, and get immediate feedback. Just make sure you pay attention to the diving.

There's an entire sub-forum about UW photography, and you can find plenty of UW 101 type stuff with Google.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom