What mm wetsuit for Maui and Cayman Brac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! I'm not so comfortable yet I think I'd consider the drysuit. So--I just shelled out some $ for this Nikon AW120 Coolpix underwater (up to 60ft) camera. I still am thinking of taking it on a shorter shallower dive in Maui but have never used an underwater camera. This ones seems basic but durable. Any advice with this camera? I have absolutely zero experience. Thanks!

My advice - as mentioned above - is that you don't dive with a camera rated to 60ft unless you are ok with it being completely destroyed.

It's rated "IPX8" and per the Nikon website that rating was achieved "under our test conditions." The problem is that type of testing is a "static" test which means that the camera is placed in water in a chamber and the pressure is raised to match that as if it were at 60ft. The camera is not moved, jostled, bumped, no one jumped in the water with it, no one is swimming with it, no one is pressing any buttons, no one is operating the camera.

It's simply not rated for diving.

Scubagirlminn,
I totally agree with others about the camera. I started with theOlympus stylus tough for snorkeling. It lasted a year and a half with just free diving and I know I never went 33'. then I went for the Nikon aw120 and thought it would be fine for my dives as I was careful not to go below the 63 ft rating. well lets just say it made it through about 20 dives and died. I was able to revive it by putting it in a ziplock with rice for a week and got one more dive before it died for good. It was under warranty so I sent it in. they Supposedly repaired it and the next time I went I took 2 pics at 15 ft and it died. I sent it in again and this time they replaced it with a rebuilt one. I now only use it for snorkeling and land shots. I have purchased the Sealife dc1400 and am very happy with it so far. I have only used it on 5 dives but seems to be great. and not a whole lot more $$ than the nikon was.
As for wet suits...My wife and I both use Bare 5 mill full suits. Diving in Bonaire last Jan with temps around 80 and again in Nov with temps up to 84 and currently in Cayman Brac with temps at 81-82. There are dives we still get cold. It all depends on how much you move. We like to go slow and may hover over a coral head for a few minutes to look at the tiny life. our average bottom time is 55-60 min.
I have even started to wear a skull cap to help a little. Im 6'4'' and 185 and my wife is 5'8 and lets just say not a big girl to keep me out of trouble for sharing specifics. Again temps are different for every body, but it is no fun when you get cold. its easy to let in some water if you ever get too hot, (hasn't happened to us yet).
Have fun whatever you decide,
Tom

Last edited:
Hi all. I am newly certified and looking into getting a wetsuit. I am diving Maui in 3 weeks and Cayman Brac end of Feb. first week in March. I tend to get cold easily and am wondering what mm wetsuit would be most suitable for both--or if I can get away with just one (hopefully!) I am thinking 5mm full body but am not sure. Thanks!

"What exposure suite should I wear" is one of the most asked questions on SB. It amazes me that some very experienced divers give advice. The only way to see if a particular suit is OK for you is to try it someplace with similar water temps. -- like maybe a pool? Everyone is different regarding cold tolerance so advice from others doesn't mean a whole lot. I'm starting to feel the cold more now as I've been away from Northern Manitoba almost 10 years. So people also change due to location.

Back
Top Bottom