what muscles to exercise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would recommend working on the heart! there are many physiological things happening. Good blood circulation through capillaries, efficient off gassing through pulmonary/circulatory system, reduced Nitrogen in slow compartments (i.e. fat), reduced C02 production, among other things that make a healthy diver.

I would also give the idea of sidemount diving some extra thought if you have the luxury of a tank monkey.

Im just shy of 50 (yep a mere youngster I know) but have been doing Yoga for about 30 of those and I stretch..a LOT...think lunges but a lot slower and more controlled. My mother is a sprightly just shy of 70 and leads fitness sessions for ''prime movers'' and Pilates combined with Yoga and walking keep her group fit and avoiding a lot of aches and pains. Pilates seems to be particularly loved by people with hip and back problems - of any age. Of course swimming is a great full body workout.

Helpful for Divers with Arthritis

I posted this in the women's forum but no luck there. Maybe here :

I am 66 have arthritis and still want to dive. I have been going to our gym (3 times a week) doing machines, arms, back, legs etc. on a rotation basis during the week and then 15-20 min on the treadmill each time.

I am looking for some routine that would help with getting on boat. Pulling myself up on the ladder.

I have solved my problem with the quick release clips on my fins by using the fore arm gipper machine ( up to 7 lbs now ;-) ) so that is not a problem

any ideas?

I live in Northern WI so no diving till going to CCV in May and sure I can do shore dives. But boat dives are fun too
thanks
gail

A great benefit of scuba diving for those with arthritis is being in the weightless environment of the water. The challenges that present are often related to carrying gear and transitioning from water to the boat as quoted above. A couple of general guidelines following Arthritis Foundation protocol and my recommendations are: 1) keep moving - exercise is very important for pain management, function in daily and recreational activities, and positive outlook; 2) exercise should be Joint Based performed safely and with a goal of improving movement and flexibility. This can be done while adding muscle strength around the joints to stabilize and protect them and to develop needed strength for diving activities; 3) The Arthritis Foundation offers both water and land-based group exercises programs. I am credentialed as a (People with Arthritis Can Exercise) P.A.C.E. Instructor and have taught many land-based programs. Some of the classes are made up of folks on the elderly side but not all. My classes ranged from the ages of 30's to 90's. These classes are also appropriate for divers (with physician approval) during cancer treatment and/or recovering from injuries - particularly as a follow up after physical therapy for a head-to-toe wake-up call before hitting the weights. Seek out a class near you by accessing the Arthritis Foundation website or inquiring at your local fitness and community centers. Classes are affordable.

For divers who are beyond the P.A.C.E. classes in their fitness knowledge and abilities, you can still incorporate P.A.C.E. exercises into your workout or on non-gym days. They work great for joint warm-ups and light stretching pre-diving and will help prevent injury. Depending on the type and individual condition of arthritis, divers can be creative in handling gear by using carts for shore diving or to-and-from the boat and car, donning and removing gear in the water, and wearing rash guards under wetsuits to make it easier to get on and off. Divers with difficulty gripping ladders will benefit from the P.A.C.E. hand and shoulder exercises and might wear gloves with a gripping surface on the inside. Use the legs as much as possible when climbing the ladder. Find solutions for developing strength in the large muscles of the back and legs. Develop biceps to help in pulling while gripping the ladder. SWimming is a great non-impact aerobic workout for divers with arthritis.

Here is a sample of joint based exercises for the hands and the link to the Arthritis Foundation, Arthritis Foundation | Symptoms Treatments | Prevention Tips | Pain Relief Advice Hope this helps - sorry I did not find this post sooner.

Contact me directly if you wish.
Gretchen M. Ashton, CFT, SFT, SFN, NBFE
gretchen@scubafit.com
(760) 271-6069

P.A.C.E. Hand Exercises.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom