What Now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

liquidvisions

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
To make a long story short. While returning on a flight my baggage was gone thru and my video camera was stolen.
My question is I now have to buy a new camera and housing as my housing was camera specific and no longer made, what would be your choice of camera?
I want to go with a housing that is not mechanical in operation so the camera must be capatable with electronic control.

have you checked on ebay for a camcorder like yours? It is amazing how many companies sell brand new electronics still in the boxes that have been discontinued. That is what I would do first IF I liked my camcorder.

If you want to upgrade and go with an electronic housing I would first decide which type of housing and then before I buy, check out the camcorders available. I have mechanical, but if and when I move to electronic, I am leaning towards one of these: UnderSea Video Housings or Ocean Images Underwater Video Camera Housings - Sony - Canon - Sharp - Panasonic - Custom
I know people who have used them and are very pleased. I also know people who have other brands and they have been money pits. So do your research. A good resourch for buying camcorders and some housings is B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders

robin

Since you want electronic controls your only options are Sony camcorders as they're the only mfr. currently providing the required LANC control port.

My personal recommendation is buy an HDV camcorder, either tape or HDD based if you can afford to do so.

If not, the only tape option is the Sony HC96 - the only model in their SD line that has LANC. Unless you buy an older model new/used on eBay. I don't recall the SD HDD LANC-equipped models but they'e summarized in the link I posted in the next paragraph.

Editing HDV will likely require in an upgrade to your computer also to handle HDV capture and editing unless it's a fairly new machine. You can delay that by downconverting and editing the footage in SD, most Sony HDV camcorders do this. Just keep your HDV tapes/footage until you can edit it.

I just summarized available Sony options in a thread on Scubatoys forum so rather than re-type it all here, here's a link to the post.

In addition to Robin's suggestions, also look at TopDawg - a cost reduced version of the Light & Motion housing selling at the same or slightly less than O/I.

Other more expensive electronic options are Light and Motion, SeaTool or Amphibico.

One other point to consider is that if you want manual white balance control only some housings/camcorder combinations will support it. O&I does it mechanically with a pushrod in their better, camera specific housings, USVH and TopDawg only for older non-HDV models and I believe SeaTool supports it in most of their line. L&M does with their Bluefin and their older Stingray model but not for HDV models with their Sport III model. Amphibico does not across their current EVO line.
edit: except for the A1U housing mentioned in the next post

Reef Photo/Video in Ft. Lauderdale is probably your closest dealer for some of these lines. I bought from and recommend Mike Luzansky at H2OPhotopros also.

I was looking at the HC 96 but I see Ocean Images has the HC 42 with housing on special any thoughts on this camera.
Baggage handlers p--- me off, they are supposed to make sure baggage is safe not steal from it!

Next time I will hand carry my housing/video.
cant afford new equipment.

Next time I will hand carry my housing/video.
cant afford new equipment.
That's why I bought what I did, I won't check mine either...

Me too. My housing, camcorder, monitor and lights come with me on the plane. I use a regular wheeled carryon and a small backpack. Clothes as padding also comes in handy if my luggage gets delayed or lost.

I was looking at the HC 96 but I see Ocean Images has the HC 42 with housing on special any thoughts on this camera.
Baggage handlers p--- me off, they are supposed to make sure baggage is safe not steal from it!
It's 2 years old, is a discontinued model - the current Sony offering is the HC48. The HC42 is reported to have mediocre low-light performance and there appears to be a problem with the LCD after you've used it for a year or so...

And O/I is selling it at retail assuming the housing is their base model PC series.

See the customer reviews at the bottom of this site: Sony MiniDV Digital Handycam® Camcorder with 1/5" Advanced HAD CCD Imager DCRHC42 / SONDCRHC42 | - Sony MiniDV Digital Handycam® Camcorder with 1/5" Advanced HAD CCD Imager DCRHC42 / SONDCRHC42 about problems with the LCD screen.

and the full camcorderinfo.com review here: Sony DCR-HC42 Camcorder Review - Sony MiniDV Camcorders

Amphibico does not across their current EVO line.
quote]

Almost true... The Dive Buddy EVO HD Elite for the Sony HVR-A1U HDV has manual white balance.

Vic
Can you still buy an A1U somewhere new? Besides eBay?

I did overlook that housing option though...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom