What Octo should i get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minion_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am starting to piece my scuba gear together and I am hoping to get all my equipment by the start of diving season next year. I plan on doing some Ocean, Lake and Quarry dives. I have already bought an Oceanic Alpha 8 Regulator, and was now wondering what type of Octo i should buy. I am looking at the Oceanic Alpha 8 Octo, and the Genesis Sidekick, which is an "in-line" octo. I am looking for some advice as to which one i should get as my first Octo.

I am starting to piece my scuba gear together and I am hoping to get all my equipment by the start of diving season next year. I plan on doing some Ocean, Lake and Quarry dives. I have already bought an Oceanic Alpha 8 Regulator, and was now wondering what type of Octo i should buy. I am looking at the Oceanic Alpha 8 Octo, and the Genesis Sidekick, which is an "in-line" octo. I am looking for some advice as to which one i should get as my first Octo.

Take a look at Zeagle or Apex u will not be sorry! Both are great breathing regs.

That Alpha 8 is a good start. Here is an octo that is a good match for it. I bought the same basic setup and one for my daughter, too, and they work really well.

Oceanic Slimline Octopus, Yellow "Old Style"

This is from a source we use often.

Have fun with it.

Why not get the same brand as your primary reg?
If you get the Oceanic Alpha 8 octo, then this will simplify servicing in the future.
If you buy a different brand octo, you'll have to find a reg repair outfit that services both Oceanic and whatever brand your octo is.
I believe that the performance of the Alpha 8 octo should be the same as the Alpha 8 primary that you already own, assuming that the second stages are tuned similarly. That's good.

Enjoy your new reg setup...

Why not get the same brand as your primary reg?
If you get the Oceanic Alpha 8 octo, then this will simplify servicing in the future.
If you buy a different brand octo, you'll have to find a reg repair outfit that services both Oceanic and whatever brand your octo is.

+1, Solid advise.

Thank you. The more reviews i read i more im leaning towards the Alpha 8 Octo.

Last octo I bought was the Alpha 8--in yellow finish with a yellow hose, put it on my Mk 10 SP 1st stage with my G200 2nd......Used for 50 bucks & have zero complaints with it.

My wife and I use Alpha 8's as octos and they work fine (primaries are Delta 4's - not that it matters).

If you like your Alpha 8 primary then there's no reason you wouldn't like the Alpha 8 octo - it's the same thing just different colors.

Thank you. after looking more into the Alpha 8 octo and other octos as well i believe that i am going to go with my first gut feeling and get the Alpha 8 Octo. Thanks for the help yall.

The Oceanic Alpha 8 Octo would work best, stay away from inline 2nds until you are very comfortable and have more time down. My $0.02 or $0.025 these days.

Back
Top Bottom