What Other Things Do I Need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baltdiveguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Not sure exactly where to post this thread. Just got my first set of gear (bc, reg, wet suit, fins, mask snorkle, etc).

I know there are some essentials I should have on my BC for diving; what would those be?

Hopefully my question makes sense lol.

Thanks in advance!

perhaps a light and a knife would be nice....

Depends where you dive. If you were in open water (rather than a quarry) for instance, I'd carry a DSMB ( with small finger spool) and a whistle. A knife is good or you could go for surgical scissors or small a line cutter.

Some may consider a compass essential especially if shore or boat diving

Experience! Then you will learn the things you will need or be told what you will need for specific dives. Don't end up with a bunch of stuff you won't use or don't need.

Stay away from overpriced octo holders. 75 cents worth of surgical tubing and a few zip ties works just fine. They also won't grow legs like some of the clip on ones do. Retractors - not necessary. Rattles and tank bangers- No, no, no. the less you look like a Christmas tree the better.

Eventually, a nice collection of park tags.

A decent light.

DGX 600 Handheld Light | Dive Gear Express® - $50, including battery and charger

Cutting devices.

DGX Titanium EMT Shears | Dive Gear Express® - $7 for good shears. You probably want a lanyard and sheath, too. So, whole package for $15. You'll have to use some Aquaseal to glue some velcro to the front of the sheath. I used their sheath for these shears with no lanyard or velcro and lost the shears on about my 5th dive.

DGX Sharp Cut | Dive Gear Express® - $18 for alternate cutting device. Having 2 is good. One on each side (or wherever) in case you can't reach one.

Compass

Tech Compass w/Bungee Mount and Cord | Dive Gear Express® - $40 for a decent compass w/bungee mount

And, as has already been mentioned, an SMB or safety sausage. For now, you would probably be okay with just a basic sausage.

DGX Safety Sausage | Dive Gear Express® - $14

or

DAN: Online Store | scuba diving safety equipment - $60 for a proper SMB that includes a radar reflective strip up the inside. It is debatable how effective the radar strip is, but it seems like it has to be more effective than none at all.

and

Blue Reef Finger Spool Reel - $5 for a finger spool.

ps. I probably sound like a shill for Dive Gear Express, but I have no affiliation whatsoever other than being a very happy customer.

I think everyone above gave you a pretty good list. The only thing I would add to it is I have a dog tag with my allergies and DAN insurance info on it along with an emergency contact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom