What problems do you often encounter while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to design a light that is very useful to divers, especially in ease of signaling and communication while underwater. So in order for me to do that effectively, I have to absorb a lot of information in a very short period of time.

Hi-I would like to prefice what I am going to write by saying I sure hope it helps to give rise to the frustrations of divers that use lights.

Either get online and do some e-diving or go get certified right away. It does not take long to learn to dive. Should cost under a thousand dollars to get first hand knowledge of diving skills and mistakes. Most dive inventions are created by divers. They build for a need. Your task is monumental at least. Until you fully understand the techniques and tasks we have you will at best create something already done.
I dont want to tear your hopes in designing a light but I feel that just asking divers how to do it is like us learning to dive online and then go dive solo.
I know the task is created to establish your abilities so first hand knowledge may be the way to go. I wish you well. kevin

Hi-I would like to prefice what I am going to write by saying I sure hope it helps to give rise to the frustrations of divers that use lights.

Either get online and do some e-diving or go get certified right away. It does not take long to learn to dive. Should cost under a thousand dollars to get first hand knowledge of diving skills and mistakes. Most dive inventions are created by divers. They build for a need. Your task is monumental at least. Until you fully understand the techniques and tasks we have you will at best create something already done.
I dont want to tear your hopes in designing a light but I feel that just asking divers how to do it is like us learning to dive online and then go dive solo.
I know the task is created to establish your abilities so first hand knowledge may be the way to go. I wish you well. kevin

First of all, thanks to everyone else for giving me your input, it is very helpful.

To firstdive2005: I am a student and do not have a lot of expendable income. Does it cost $1,000 just to get certified, or is that including a lot of the equipment?

The reason I'm asking is because I have a few of the basic supplies for SCUBA, like a wetsuit, boots, swim fins, etc. If it's only like $100-200 to get some simple certification, I might consider it. But since I only have 5 weeks for this project, and I don't have a ton of money to throw around, that may not be possible.

I'm an avid surfer and I spear-fish on occasion as well. So I'm not going into this totally blindly. While I have 0 experience with SCUBA diving, at least I have a lot of experience with the ocean in general.

I know that SCUBA diving at great depths to the point of requiring a light is very different from spear fishing at depths of like 6 feet, so that's why I'm asking you guys.

It sounds like durability, focused light, and a long battery life are of top priority.

firstdive2005, thanks for guiding me though. If it doesn't cost too much, I'll definitely consider it. Worst case scenario is that I can change my intended use: I could change from SCUBA diving to something that requires less equipment/training like free-diving...However, I think there is more need for a light while SCUBA diving. The only time you really need a light for free-diving is when you're out at night looking for lobster and the like.

It may have been mentioned but, rechargable without having to remove it from the case for charging, this would eliminate the chances of having to open the case charge the battery and re-seal the case, eliminating or at least reducing the chance of the light flooding.

It may have been mentioned but, rechargable without having to remove it from the case for charging, this would eliminate the chances of having to open the case charge the battery and re-seal the case, eliminating or at least reducing the chance of the light flooding.

This could be something interesting.

Maybe something that uses hydro power to charge. While you're swimming a little propeller moves. The kinetic energy would charge the battery. No battery replacement at all! This is an extreme stretch, especially when considering the high voltage of most of the lights on the market.

Some folks who dive in murky conditions need really bright and focused lights. Some of yes never dive under those conditions. Night dives when visibility is 50-100 ft do not require a really bright and focused light. IMHO, a less bright and less focused light is actually preferable when vis is excellent. As someone else suggested, a light that is focus-able would, to some extent, solve both problems because increased focus puts more of the light energy in a smaller and brighter area. A magnetic switch that can be turned on and off with the same hand that holds the light would be useful. You also might consider how the light is to be held. Some have pistol grips; most are of the more typical cylindrical flashlight shape. Maybe you can come up with some novel design that is comfortable and easy to hold with one hand while shooting pictures with a camera held in the other hand. You will also have to consider size because size is determined, in large part, by the batteries needed to power the particular light you select. Also, don't forget to include at least 2 o-rings for every seal.

Bubbletrubble, lmorin, firstdive2005, gcbryan and the rest,

thank you for your input. I will be doing further research. I will be visiting dive shops and trying out lights to see how the feel. I will probably end up buying one and doing some snorkeling out in the ocean for a bit. I know this is not anything like SCUBA diving, but it's the closest I can get without dropping lots of $$$ on equipment. I already have a wetsuit and fins since I am an avid surfer and a lifeguard.

Finding my way back to the boat after a long rambling dive.

Something like this except better (chews through batteries!) would be good.

you need to focus on one need. the needs of cave divers are vastly different from the needs of night reef divers or divers trying not to get parted from the boat, and we're willing to spend very big bucks for lights when most divers aren't.

so my advice is to pick your niche and ask a few more questions. oh, and unless you're in a tech shop, you aren't likely to even see a canister light to discuss how it's made. big bucks = few shops carry them.

You may want to consider a design that makes use of inductive charging. (Perhaps I should patent this idea before posting it here on ScubaBoard.)

It's a great idea but my electric toothbrush had that 30 years ago. It's probably not patentable.

A completely sealed, leakproof light would be be an awesome thing. It would only need inductive charging and a magnetic reed switch.

I'm not even talking o-rings here. I'm talking welded plastic that would simply be discarded if it fails.

Terry

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I am a product designer and I was assigned by my school to create a light that is used by SCUBA divers, skin divers, spear fishermen, snorkelers, et cetera.

This would presumably be something like a beacon light, flashlight, or light for signaling and communication while underwater...Right now it's kind of up in the air.

But here's where you guys come in: I have 0 SCUBA experience. I have only spear fished occasionally, and snorkelled on and off.

I would like your expertise. Any sorts of stories that you have would be great. I really just want to understand the whole process and figure out what your needs are so I don't design something that's totally worthless.

So just a few questions:

*Some overall interesting stories about diving.
*how to prevent against accidents
*figuring out where your boat is when you have to get back to the surface, especially at night
*how to handle emergencies such as injuries or problems that may occur
*what you typically use lights for while diving
*how you currently communicate underwater, and how important that is (if it is important at all)
*problems with current lights on the market
*the general process of diving and what it is you do while you're down there!

Thanks guys, your input is appreciated!

I have an idea for you.

It's about backup lights

Most divers carry backup lights when it's dark.

The current mode for retreiving a backup light after the primary fails is to fumble around in the dark feeling around for where you *think* you left the backup and then taking it in your hand and turning it on. To give you an idea how strong backup lights are, think in terms of the luminosity of a 1-2w LED.

For the average diver a much better idea would be a backup light that turned itself on as soon as the primary failed. It should have a luminosity in the 5w range and it should create a difuse luminous glow in the immediate area of the diver's head and chest which is sufficient to read instruments and communicate with a buddy.

Additional parameters:
-it should cost under $200
-it should not attach to the diver's head
-it should have a burn time of at least 30 min
-it should integrate into existing kit in a low profile so that there is no chance of it "snagging" on anything
-it should somehow connect to the primary light so when the primary fails the back up takes over seemlessly.
-it should look cool.

You have 2 hours to impress the jury.....GO! :D

R..

Back
Top Bottom