What should I do? Camera Choices.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

srhtech

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new to the underwater world and can not seem to figure out what my camera selection should be.

I currently have a cannon poweshot 1000 for a P&S and The Cannon Rebel for my SLR camera.

Now I am wondering if I should buy houseings for these cameras or if I should get new a new camera for underwater use.

If I was going to get an under water camera I was looking at a compac camera that already had a built on housing. Or should I get the underwater P&S and get a housing for the canon since it wouldn;t be used more than the P&S.

I do know that I want to be able to take high quality under water photos and also have a compac option that would be easier for diving.

And I thought photography on land was confusing.

well I can afford housings for either camera or a P&S under water camera. I would also consider purchasing one of these under water photo systems I have seen that appear to ahve everythign with them. I figurea I am going to need 2 cameras for sure one for all the time use and one for just high quality pictures. But now that I am looking more into it the housings for the canon rebel are quite high in price from what I was expecting. So I might just buy new cameras for only underwater use.

What is recommended for a under water P&S under $350 .

What kind of basic under water setup should I look into for taking higher quality images under $1500.

Housing your SLR is incremental.

You saw a price for the body, probably. Not including lens domes, etc.

For 350$? Your either gonna buy used or maybe a SeaLife or Intova.

You MAY be able to house a Canon a720 or a570 in a Canon housing for 350$ if you shop it really well. Odds are your looking at more like 380/400. You can definitely house an A4 series for 350$, but I'm not sure if thats worth the money.

Under 1500$, you could probably house your rebel with a basic kit lens dome. I would have to go look and I'm sure someone else here has the real numbers first hand. But for 1500$, you SHOULD be able to get your SLR housed, which will result in much better pictures with or without a strobe, provided you know how to use it. Check Fantasea for your rebel, I think they have the lowest price for it.

To give you an idea, 1 year ago I paid less than $2000 for the following:

- Nikon Coolpix P5000 10.1mp
- Ikelite housing
- 1 @ DS-125 TTL controlled strobe
- lots of spare parts and batteries
- Delivery from New York to Canada

An example of what an amateur can do with this set-up is:

BonaireGoldenMoray2.jpg

I have lots of photos but please remember that someone with even the least knowledge of how to work a camera (which I cannot) could do much better than me so this should give you an idea of what you can get.

Also, I blew this picture up to 2ft by 3ft and had it plaqued and had no problem with image quality.

If you look at housing your SLR you are not going to do much of anything beyond what SPG3K stated. There is no question that you could probably do better (quality wise) with your SLR and all the options for lenses, but it is much more money. You can still get quality shots with a P&S. Just my 2 cents.

I wish I could remember off the top of my head what my LDS suggested for a P&S. I know that it had the capability to hook up to another flash and a wide angle lens.

I just can't belive that the housing for my SLR is more than I paid for the camera. I have also not priced lens domes. I am still not sure what I want to do about lenses.

I wish I could remember off the top of my head what my LDS suggested for a P&S. I know that it had the capability to hook up to another flash and a wide angle lens.

I just can't belive that the housing for my SLR is more than I paid for the camera. I have also not priced lens domes. I am still not sure what I want to do about lenses.

My D40 was 650.00. The cheapest housing (no ports/no domes/etc) that I can find right now is 1400.00 I think.

To be honest with you. I am not delusional. I am a realist. I don't believe I possess the time or skillset necessary to have a photo published in a magazine. Therefore, I have refused to pay out large sums of money for photo equipment, spending it instead on better dive equipment and trips.

I also don't like the thought of lugging the D40/Accessories into the water. It's a big enough camera topside, and it's considered small and light as far as SLR's go.

I'm sure I will get mauled by some people for saying this, but I really don't think the average diver has any need whatsoever for a housed SLR. If all you are doing is bringing photos home to show friends and make memories, any decent P&S with or without a strobe will do just fine.

But, like all diving activities, the bug bites small at first. Maybe one day I will be shooting dual strobes with a housed 4000$ SLR body. Never say never I guess.

......I'm sure I will get mauled by some people for saying this, but I really don't think the average diver has any need whatsoever for a housed SLR. If all you are doing is bringing photos home to show friends and make memories, any decent P&S with or without a strobe will do just fine......

I agree with you entirely here. My first camera was a 5.0mp Canon with housing only and I loved using it and showing the pictures off.

But, like all diving activities, the bug bites small at first. Maybe one day I will be shooting dual strobes with a housed 4000$ SLR body. Never say never I guess.

And this is SO TRUE. After 2 years of the 5.0mp no strobe set-up and I went a bit further. I am far from an SLR but it was not inexpensive. BUT (and it is a big but), I love the difference and am bugging to go bigger now. If you get bitten, you usually get bitten in stages.

No matter what you dive with, the important thing is to always dive safe and enjoy every dive. Beyond that, it is all gravy.

Budget of course will always play a large concern in your camera choice. There are a ton of options for Point & Shoots. Everything from the Intova and Sealife mentioned, which starts around $250, up to a housed Canon, Olympus or Nikon in a housing. If you are really looking for a nice quality compact P&S, my new favorite system has been the Nikon P5100 in a Fisheye (aluminum) housing with a Inon strobe and Ultralight arms. Extremely compact, quality and excellent camera for the dollar (cam is about $300, housing $779).

Before buying any set up, its important to think about your goals with the camera and whether or not you would like something that can grow with you a bit. The last thing you want is to buy a system and 3 months later outgrow it.

Back
Top Bottom