What should I have done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubba105:
BTW, is there a DIR presense on the East coast. I've asked everyone I know and I'm the only one who's heard of it. Not that I think I could talk my wife into it.

Bob Sherwood has a shop in Vestel, near Binghamton, and often teaches at Dutch Springs, or so I'm told. Ed Hayes is situated just south of Hartford at the Scuba Shack.

Where do you work in NYC?

bubba105:
Anyway, I've been a fireman in NYC for 25 years and this immediately brought me to what we do after every fire. We sit in the kitchen and critique what we did. Everyone gets his/her chance to speak. I ask all my guys what they think they could have done to make things work more smoothly. It took a while but now we open up and admit to sometimes not adapting to situations as quickly as we should. Hopefully, everybody learns something.

You were given a freebee on this one. Thank God this didn't happen at 170 feet. Peter, by throwing this out without holding anything back and telling everyone your thought processes, you have given a gift to everyone who reads this, especially the DIR crowd who work in teams. In the leasure of this forum it became obvious what the move was but in that split second when the wheels come off the cart, we sometimes become spectators. A lot of people have commented about not liking 4's. Well, this makes for a perfect critique.

The "debrief" is DIR SOP. Most of us realize we're all on a learning continuum in DIRF. We/I try not to take it personally (hard as that might be sometimes).

Peter Guy:
The next time I'm in something akin to this scenario I'll have some type of pre-existing plan for how to deal with the situation. Having been drilled and drilled "not to leave my buddy" it was very hard to contemplate splitting off.

I'm quite sure I'll handle the situation more safely next time.
Accident Analysis is an interesting thread (outside the DIR forum) of a case where a diver went missing after his buddy acknowledged his "not OK" sign, and then left him to go notify the 3rd member of the team rather than taking care of the immediate problem at hand.

In my post to that thread I describe the incident that totally drove home to me that the priority is to stay with the guy in trouble. I still kind of chuckle, thinking back of the dilemma that faced me as I split the distance halfway between my buddy and an abandoned buddy from our boat. My buddy was rapidly swimming away to take care of one person who had done an uncontrolled ascent and then started to surface swim back to the boat. Her abandoned buddy was meandering along, not trying to catch up to his buddy. I was figuratively stuck between them as the gap widened further and further until I finally had to choose and joined up with the abandoned buddy, leaving my buddy to handle the other diver of the broken buddy team. The decision was much, much harder than it should have been.

My initial reply to you of "slap your Tech 1 buddy up alongside his head and go get your wife!" may have sounded flippant, but in reality it was the result of thinking through what really is the priority.

By thinking it through now, realtime decisions underwater get easier, and more likely to be the correct one.

Charlie Allen

p.s. Whacking your buddy on his head and then taking off without waiting for a response fits nicely with the discussion on hand signs in the last page or so. Although it's a non-standard sign, I doubt that there would be any confusion as to the urgency and once they look around and see that Lynne is missing, they should be able to figure out why you departed suddenly. :)

What a good thread this has been, and what great contributions, both from the DIR and non-DIR participants. Lots of things to think about here, from boot fit to emergency signals.

Peter Guy:
bubba -- I am NOT a DIR diver and have no desire to ever be known/called a DIR diver, so not to worry about chiming in.

This thread (and the dive itself) have been valuable to me (I believe) BECAUSE it has given me time to assess and reassess what happened and what I could have/should have done differently. To a great extent this shows/proves the value of training -- not training that has gone well but the best kind -- training that didn't go well.

The next time I'm in something akin to this scenario I'll have some type of pre-existing plan for how to deal with the situation. Having been drilled and drilled "not to leave my buddy" it was very hard to contemplate splitting off.

I'm quite sure I'll handle the situation more safely next time.

I don't know why but I thought DIR divers only dove with other DIR divers. I don't know why I thought that but maybe something I read.

I totally agree with you on the value of this situation. Anybody can practice OOA but toss in a missing diver at the same time and I dare say your air consumption is going up a tad, to say the least. Nothing like a reality check to bring us down a peg or two.

rongoodman:
Bob Sherwood has a shop in Vestel, near Binghamton, and often teaches at Dutch Springs, or so I'm told. Ed Hayes is situated just south of Hartford at the Scuba Shack.

Where do you work in NYC?

Dutch Springs, oh boy, cold and me don't get along too well. I've actually been soaked to the bone in 0 degree weather, my clothes frozen solid, on more than one occasion. You've never lived... I don't suppose there is a Cozumel DIR chapter by any chance:D

I work in Staten Island, L-84, close to home, since my promotion to Lt in 2001. Spent most of my career in Brooklyn, L-105 & E-239. Bubba is my cat, thus the name.

bubba105:
Dutch Springs, oh boy, cold and me don't get along too well. I've actually been soaked to the bone in 0 degree weather, my clothes frozen solid, on more than one occasion. You've never lived... I don't suppose there is a Cozumel DIR chapter by any chance:D

I work in Staten Island, L-84, close to home, since my promotion to Lt in 2001. Spent most of my career in Brooklyn, L-105 & E-239. Bubba is my cat, thus the name.

I don't think there are any GUE instructors on Coz. I doubt any would complain if you flew them in :D

There are 3 right across the way in Puerto Aventures, ~1 hour south of Cancun.

And there's one on Bonaire, and one on Grand Cayman . . .

TSandM:
And there's one on Bonaire, and one on Grand Cayman . . .

... lemme tell ya, them guys ain't dumb ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Perhaps it’s too late for me to comment on my recollection of this dive and the circumstances surrounding Lynne’s ascent to the surface and her return back to the team at depth. I have read the previous posts and have found the commentary interesting. First, if I may, let me make it perfectly clear that I am responsible for not noticing my dive partner’s absence during a transition from 30’ to 20FSW, there was however many problems with this dive, and more directly with the “loose” or Laze fare attitude I had during the dive with regards to my partner. Furthermore, I may not like having the “dirty laundry “ of this dive aired in a public forum but I’m convinced that unless I’m able to learn from this incident and take my licks, something far more serious could happen in the future..

Let me back up a little, and recant the scenario as I believe it occurred. The dive was planned with Lynne and I (who just went though Rec-Triox) and Bones (who just went through Tech1) needing to practice or performing timely ascents from depth, Peter joined us for the dive. I was paired with Lynne from the very start of the dive and Bones was paired with Peter. Bones was the captain of the deco. I from the start, had every intention of hanging with Bones from start to finish, so I could get a feel for the timing of the ascent and the transitions as demonstrated by a Tech1 student; DING #1

We started off right from the start of the ascent with poor team orientation all the way from the bottom to the first stop at 40 feet. Team position was as follows: I was directly in front of Bones, Peter was to our left by 6’ and Lynne was behind Bones by a distance of 6’ after a 30second hold at 40 feet Bones signal the call to ascend to 30’ which was signaled to all divers and acknowledged. Once done with the 30’ stop, we all signaled the move to twenty feet. The team was basically in the same position with Bones and I rising evenly and Peter slightly off the left and below. Lynne was about 6’ below us and behind Bones. Within the second of my confirming that we were at 20FSW Bones went OOA. Peter and Lynne were out of position and I donated without hesitation. During the OOA Bones dropped 4’ and I think during this time, concurrent with the donation, Lynne must have gone skyward with out my notice; DING #2

Two minutes later I noticed Lynne drop back down to the 20’ stop were we were still holding, I was totally absorbed in maintaining a 1’ margin of the target stop, I didn’t even thinking that she could have been in trouble during the time it took me to complete the S-drill; DING #3

The rest of the ascent went on uneventful and later we engaged in small talk at the surface about what had happened during the ascent and the lack of buddy awareness. Later Lynne and I communicated better with e-mails about how I have become desensitized with the inherent dangers of performing skills underwater. I think we have reconciled what happened and have formulated a plan how this problem won’t happen again in the future. Which happens to be, succinctly; Kirk pays his undivided attention to his teammate unless otherwise directed by an actual emergency after communicating his intentions to all team members. Sh_t, just yesterday on this board I was bragging how GUE training had made me a safe diver, go figure. Kirk Hamblen

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom