What size do you suggest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kikit24

Registered
Reaction score
I plan on ordering a pair of Mares Quattros open heals online. My shoe size is a 9 1/2 so I was thinking of getting size Regular (7.5 to 10.5). I want to use some booties as well. I live in Miami so the water is really not that cold. I was thinking of purchasing something from 3mm to 5mm. Will my foot still fit in a size Regular Mares Quattro. Thanks.

Yes, regular it would be for that size... Really want Quatros?? I'd try to talk you into splits... but if you want Quatros, and are not pickey about color - give me a shout - I think we got a pile on a close out table...

scubatoys:
Yes, regular it would be for that size... Really want Quatros?? I'd try to talk you into splits... but if you want Quatros, and are not pickey about color - give me a shout - I think we got a pile on a close out table...

I was originally planning on buying some SP Twin Jets, but after reading many of the posts, I changed my mind. To be honest I'm still really not sure what fins to get.

The issue of splits vs paddles will always be one to spark a lot of comments, both pro splits, against paddles, and vice-versa. Bottom line, you get propulsion while diving based on how much water the fins displace backwards (kind of the same principle as buoyancy, only in a different direction). Don't get bogged down with fancy explanations of how one fin is more efficient than the other. If you're looking for ease of kick, a good pair of splits, or if you wish to compromise, the new volo power (or old volos) are a good choice. Anything else will require a little more strain in the kick. Here is the test, try swimming against a .5 - 1 knot current on a pair of splits, and I guarantee you will not go as far as you would with a pair of paddles. You'll be more rested with the splits in the current, but eventually your progress will be so slow that you'll inadvertently will overkick your fins and there goes the neighborhood.

I have dived with splits, volos, planas, caribes, quattros, and now with the old Scubapro Jetfins. I wish I had dove with the Jetfins from the begining because I would have saved myself quite a few bucks. Keep in mind, that the twin jet follows the same principle as the jetfin, only on a split.

Above and beyond that, comfort and fit. If they're comfortable (both ergonomically and economically) and they fit well, go for it. Remember to ask about return policy, so if you don't just love them, you can get something different.

Semper Safe,

Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom