what speargun's length to choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fruit_n_1

Reaction score
hi friends.
the speargun i want to buy comes in 3 possible lengths.
what length should i choose if i'm 1.7meter height? or maybe it doesn't matter at all?
the lenghts: 0.9m, 1.1m and 1.3m.
1meter is about 3.03feets.
thank you very much.
pavel

can you describe your hunting enviroment a little more Pavel?

a 90cm gun is mostly used for reef work
1.1m gives you more range in open water, and coveres the reef well
1.3m guns are reserved for open/bleuwater application. if you have to ask questions about length I will assume you are new to the sport? best avoid a 1.3m gun at this point as they are difficult to load, track and have prettu specific uses.

a few Isreali spearos on Deeperblue (link in my sig)

first of all thank you Amphibious for the time you've found to answer my question.
it's reefs and blue water.
sorry, i've forgotten about one more length, it's 1 m exactly.
i take your proposition Amphibious to avoid 1.3 m.
the pomp guns i already have 0.4 m + 0.7 m for reef work.
what would you choose Amphibious : 0.9 m, 1 m or 1.15m ?
thank you again Amphibious.
pavel

i shoot a 52 commercial Rhino gun from Spearfishing specialties ( Sea Hornet spearguns) http://www.slinginsteel.com/commercial.html#rhino I also have a non commercial muzzel 52 rhino thats is the classic florida gulf coast set up ,, single band freeshaft gun carrying a spairshaft and another shaft with a 357 mag powerhead. I shoot a 3/4 inch band on it and its got enough juice to punch thru the big boys heads at range. Other guns we have are a 48inch AB biller single band freeshaft ,, and a custom made sea hornet super shorty line shafter.

Almost all of our shooting is commercial grouper and on scuba

Yes to the above. A person of your height, 5' 6", should be able to handle a gun with a one meter pull length. Pull length is the distance from the back of the muzzle slot or termination point for the bands to the sear box. That translates to a 115 cm Euro gun which is small for blue water. However, if the gun is capable of installing three rubber bands it will offer fairly long range, about 6 meters from your outstretched fist. The rest is up to you. You can obtain more leverage from a gun with a cocking stock, an extension which projects from the rear of the grip. This may require reaching out with one hand to grab a rubber band. Bring the gun to your stomach and load. If the rubber is especially strong, bring the gun butt all the way up to your sternum and pulllllll. This loading style requires that the bridles on the rubber bands be flexible. There are three types of flexible bridles; eg string bridle, cable or "articulated" wishbone. The string would be best for you but can only be used with an arrow whose shaft is fitted with fins, pins or very smooth notches. Unfortunately, most commercially available cable bridles and articulated wishbones have deficiencies. Commercial cables may fray and articulated wishbones are expensive and heavy, and a little weird. You see, there are several considerations which have increasing importance as gun size increases. Taking the time to answer these questions in your own mind will lead to a better choice in this difficult problem, that of buying an "all purpose" gun.

Dear Friends.
Thank You All very much for the time You've found to help me solve my little problem.
Thank You Amphibious, BadLatitude, MidAtlantic and Pescador.
Probably I'm gonna choose 1m long gun and as soon as it's made of carbone it's able to handle two bunds.
Pavel.

going to guess it's a Euro Style gun you're picking up?

remember a single 20mm will be more accurate then 2x16mm (in most cases), and a lot of Euro trigger mechs can't (safely) handle 2x20mm

and if you're shooting a single wrap (on a 100cm gun should yeild 3.5m range), a solo 20mm is more then enough power.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom