What Tanks are these ? XS SCUBA 119

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bowtieman427

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Found a set of tanks on CL The steel tanks are stamped as follows-
tc-su4957-236 bar d01-sp14157-3442 tp5250
09a08 m8004 xs scuba. The owner was not 100% sure what size they were. My geuss they are HP 119 as he stated later there is an x-119 on them he wants $300.00 for the pair. Not 100% about XS Scuba are they good tanks ? I like the idea of having 119ft^3 tanks :)

Found a set of tanks on CL The steel tanks are stamped as follows-
tc-su4957-236 bar d01-sp14157-3442 tp5250
09a08 m8004 xs scuba. The owner was not 100% sure what size they were. My geuss they are HP 119 as he stated later there is an x-119 on them he wants $300.00 for the pair. Not 100% about XS Scuba are they good tanks ? I like the idea of having 119ft^3 tanks :)

These are Worthington X8-119 tanks. IIRR, XS Scuba is one of their two distributors in the US. They're good tanks, but they should have "DOT" before (or maybe after, I forget) the "TC", or you may find it difficult to get them filled in the US. IIRR, buoyancy is -2.0/-10.9 lb., weight is 42 lb. and they're 24" x 8". They can make good doubles, too, albeit heavy. For a single tank, lots of people prefer to go with the Worthington X8-130, as it only weighs 1 lb. more (43 lb., 25.5" x 8", -2.0/-11.7 lb.) but gives you 8.4 cu. ft. more gas (131.4 vs. 123.0 actual). But if you're buying used that's not much of an issue.

Guy

Buy them! They cost around $400 new, each.
I have double 119's. Even for a guy 6'6", they work great. You cannot loose. Buy them. They will also have a DOT stamp on them somewhere... no tanks come only with TC stamps... not that i have seen.

"TC SU-4957" = Transport Canada (Canadian regulatory authority); SU-4957 is the permit for equivalent level of safety (equal to DOT exemption in the U.S.)
"d01" is actually "DOT" = Department of Transportation
"SP14157" = DOT exemption code in U.S.
"3442" = service pressure 3442 psi
"TP5250" = test pressure 5250 psi
The "09a08" marking probably means that the tanks were initially hydrotested in September 2008. The "a" separating the 09 and 08 is a special symbol consisting of a capital "A" on top of a capital smushed-down "T." This indicates that the initial hydrotest was performed by Authorized Testing (company name).
"m8004" = code indicating Worthington tank facility in Tilbury, Canada (assigned by DOT)

If the tank was born in September 2008 and there's no rust inside, then it would only cost you the price of VIP to get them into service. That's not bad.

$150 per tank is probably a screamin' deal in Canada. It's a pretty good deal here in the U.S. (at least where I live). If you really need two more of these big tanks, then it's a very good deal. Personally, I prefer the HP100s for local diving. They are a great size, easy to carry on land, and offer ample capacity for the dives I like to do.

Great! these tanks will last you a long time. Just make sure you watch your NDL's! Good thing about these big tanks is even a short fill is a lot of gas!

"TC SU-4957" = Transport Canada (Canadian regulatory authority); SU-4957 is the permit for equivalent level of safety (equal to DOT exemption in the U.S.)
"d01" is actually "DOT" = Department of Transportation
"SP14157" = DOT exemption code in U.S.
"3442" = service pressure 3442 psi
"TP5250" = test pressure 5250 psi
The "09a08" marking probably means that the tanks were initially hydrotested in September 2008. The "a" separating the 09 and 08 is a special symbol consisting of a capital "A" on top of a capital smushed-down "T." This indicates that the initial hydrotest was performed by Authorized Testing (company name).
"m8004" = code indicating Worthington tank facility in Tilbury, Canada (assigned by DOT)

If the tank was born in September 2008 and there's no rust inside, then it would only cost you the price of VIP to get them into service. That's not bad.

$150 per tank is probably a screamin' deal in Canada. It's a pretty good deal here in the U.S. (at least where I live). If you really need two more of these big tanks, then it's a very good deal. Personally, I prefer the HP100s for local diving. They are a great size, easy to carry on land, and offer ample capacity for the dives I like to do.
I just got a couple of Worthington X7's, 100 cf, with identical markings (equivalent for 100's). The cylinders also are stamped with "REE75.3" on the lower row of markings, which appears before the marking "X7100". Anyone know what REE75.3 indicates?

Thanks

I just got a couple of Worthington X7's, 100 cf, with identical markings (equivalent for 100's). The cylinders also are stamped with "REE75.3" on the lower row of markings, which appears before the marking "X7100". Anyone know what REE75.3 indicates?

Thanks

the REE stands for rejection elastic expansion. and i assume the number reffers to the ammount of expansion allowable durring hydro testing before they can pass/condem the tanks. XS Scuba Serial Numbers and Markings

Thanks

Way to fire up a 10-month-old thread. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom