What tanks are you using for your doubles and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter once bubbled...
You're not under the impression that DIN valves only work on HP tanks are you?

Regardless of tank type, doing technical level dives with yoke connections is very close to stupid. You should rethink this.
:mgun:
That's the way to miss the point while insulting people:bash:, WreckWriter. I guess this is your own gentle way of bring another consideration into the equation.

What WreckWriter was trying to say is that if you are planning on ever including more technical dives in your future and you currently only have 1st stage regs with yoke connections, then you should also consider buying tank valves with a 200 bar din AND a screw in yolk adapter. OMS sells them this way for only a few dollars more. That way you have the option of spreading out the total equipment costs while at the same time not rendering your current equipment obsolite. That is what I did.

As I am not made of money I decided that this was the best of all possible worlds. As I go to deeper depths and do more wreck penetrations, I'm sure in time I will also consider 200 bar DIN fittings. You might note that I said that I am using the LP85s for Nitrox. I'm not sure how they use Nitrox down there in Fla, but up here in NJ we think of Nitrox as a shallow depth gas.

OK. Rant over. I feel better.:mean:

quote "What WreckWriter was trying to say is "

I would bet that WreckWriter said exactly what he meant!
He didn't insult anyone! he just expressed his opinion!

Please don't try to put words in others mouths!

FWIW I use 300 Bar DIN
For now I convert to yoke for Caribean Vacation dives
My Tanks are PST 104's not doubled yet, maybe this spring :)

runvus4 once bubbled...
I don't have yet but am planning to get a double of the new PST E8-130's, which are similar in capacity to the old 104's but lighter out of the water and slightly shorter. They are also designed for the higher service pressure (not that the old tank can't take an overfillor two).
The E8 series, formerly LP PST, length and diameter remain the same with the weight being about two pounds less (empty wt. 44 lbs. onE8 130) :eek:ut:

I run with PST HP 120 doubled up. The reason being that they weigh in empty at 38 lbs. per tank versus empty weight of 46 lbs. for the PST LP 104. Getting a fill to the rating of 3500 PSI has never been a problem. The position that many LP tank users put forth is that you get a better fill with LP and "YOU CAN OVERFILL THEM TO 4000 PSI". If you can't get good mix and fills at 3500 PSI how do you do it at 4000 PSI? This is the best set up for me, would not consider double aluminum at all, drop the weight by using aluminum backplate instead. :eek:ut:

TheRookMan once bubbled...

:mgun:
That's the way to miss the point while insulting people:bash:, WreckWriter. I guess this is your own gentle way of bring another consideration into the equation.

What WreckWriter was trying to say is that if you are planning on ever including more technical dives in your future and you currently only have 1st stage regs with yoke connections, then you should also consider buying tank valves with a 200 bar din AND a screw in yolk adapter. OMS sells them this way for only a few dollars more. That way you have the option of spreading out the total equipment costs while at the same time not rendering your current equipment obsolite. That is what I did.

As I am not made of money I decided that this was the best of all possible worlds. As I go to deeper depths and do more wreck penetrations, I'm sure in time I will also consider 200 bar DIN fittings. You might note that I said that I am using the LP85s for Nitrox. I'm not sure how they use Nitrox down there in Fla, but up here in NJ we think of Nitrox as a shallow depth gas.

OK. Rant over. I feel better.:mean:

Interesting opinion. In what way did I insult anyone? The way the original post was phrased indicated to me a belief that DIN valves could only be used on HP tanks, which is incorrect.

Now, as for what I was trying to say, you missed by a mile.

If you plan to do technical diving you should use 300 (not 200) BAR DIN connections. There's no need for the screw-in plugs, yoke connections are totally unsafe in any technical environment and only barely adequate for recreational diving. If you want to dive more safely, have your regulators converted to DIN.

Since you are, as your profile says, "New to Tech diving and egger to learn", I suggest you ask if you are unclear on something rather than running your mouth in a completely incorrect direction.

As for nitrox I can assure you that I was diving it before you ever sucked on your first snorkle.

WW

Ahh, from the published stats I read they were different, but I guess you can't really know for sure until you get the tanks in hand and measure them yourself.

What I had seen was:

E8-130
104cf@2400psi 130CF@3442psi
8.0"dia 25.56"len 42.2#
-1.8#empty / -11.55#full

vs

LP-104
104cf@2400psi
8.0"dia 26.19"len 45#
-0.7#empty

Making a 2.8# difference in weight per tank, and about .63" difference in length.

akforsyth once bubbled...
Just wondering what everyone else is using for their doubles and why. Aluminum, Steel, HP, or LP. Just looking for some opinions. TIA.

2 sets of twin PST104's (LP). Why two?? Nice to have the extra gas without running back for another fill. Also, another good reason is that you may run across a potential dive buddy that wants to try doubles. I even picked up an extra wing for 'em.

Several of the people I dive with use twin 104's, so this makes "gas matching" easier.

I'd like to try twin AL80's some day. Be curious how different the trim & weight characteristics are.

I would be reluctant to jump on the E8 band wagon until enough actual dive info regarding weighting & such starts trickling in.

I have two sets of 104's also. When we go to places like Missouri (which is where we dive the most) or Lake Superior there is no such thing as a fill. You bring what you need and when it's gone you go home. When we can get the E series tanks, I'll get a set of them also.

for my dbl's i use aluminum 80's for shallow beach dives and training.
and for real diving i use OMS LP112's

I am ready to get some bigger tanks to go deeper longer, but i will wait and see were the rebreather takes me first

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom