What to dive near Thousand Oaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EuphoriaII

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Will be in Thousand Oaks over the next weekend and was thinking about bringing gear with me. Anything you can recommend nearby, maybe Malibu? Any dive ops offering boat trips near there?
Not sure I want to dive this time of year but I should give it some thought before I head that way. Thanks

You won't be too far from Ventura. There are several boats (Peace, Spectre, Raptor) that leave from the Ventura harbor to the Channel islands (Anacapa and Santa Cruz, usually).

Book a trip to Anacapa - you won't be sorry.

Dave

Also don't be confused by reruns of Baywatch. The ocean is cold here. I would expect 54 - 58 F off Anacapa in January. If you're wet then start with a 7 full suit and add a hooded vest. Stay warm during intervals with a good coat and lots of hot liquids. Peace and Spectre each have a small hot tub you can use to pour warmth down your suit.

Thanks for all the prompt replies and you answered my 'unasked' question too (water temp now)
I have a 7 mil full suit and 3 mil hood with 5 mill gloves and boots. Don't have a seperate vest but could possible rent. I'll check out those sites.
Thanks again for the info.

EuphoriaII:
Thanks for all the prompt replies and you answered my 'unasked' question too (water temp now)
I have a 7 mil full suit and 3 mil hood with 5 mill gloves and boots. Don't have a seperate vest but could possible rent. I'll check out those sites.
Thanks again for the info.
I dive in a 7 mm full suit and 2 mm gloves. My hood is 1/8 inch (bought it before they measured in mm), but some would argue that it offers the thermal protection of a bandana. :wink:

I'm pretty comfortable wearing that, but I usually don't get cold easily.

I also think it's a good idea to go to the boats in Ventura if that's in the cards for you.

Otherwise, there are some great places to dive around the Malibu area. If you post here that you are going to dive Malibu and are looking for someone to dive with, you'll probably find someone familiar with the area who can show you around.

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom