What to do if Instructors Teaching Credentials are no longer valid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It strikes me that where the agency -- PADI -- has an issue with their instructor, they have an obligation to assess and train ongoing candidates of that instructor.

Aren't all instructors working under the auspices of a dive "shop"'s course director? They need to do some work in reallocating students under the circumstances described by the OP.

PADI allows independent instructors. For example, I have my own business, and no relationship with a course director.

@rkasbaum, If you want to send me a copy of your paperwork, I'd be happy to take a look at it.

Aren't all instructors working under the auspices of a dive "shop"'s course director?
No, there are instructors working independently of shops.

It strikes me that where the agency -- PADI -- has an issue with their instructor, they have an obligation to assess and train ongoing candidates of that instructor.

Aren't all instructors working under the auspices of a dive "shop"'s course director? They need to do some work in reallocating students under the circumstances described by the OP.
I have never seen this exact situation (DM Candidate with suspended instructor), but I have seen where a Course Director passed away and he had 3 active IDC Candidates. PADI worked to find another Course Director in the area to complete the IDC.

When the instructor is suspect, the instruction must also be suspect. Hopefully you'll find an instructor that will work with you to fulfill any requirements not met prior to the instructors suspension. Maybe PADI will step up and help to honor the training received. Otherwise you may be stuck with having to do it all over again with an accredited instructor.

When the instructor is suspect, the instruction must also be suspect. Hopefully you'll find an instructor that will work with you to fulfill any requirements not met prior to the instructors suspension. Maybe PADI will step up and help to honor the training received. Otherwise you may be stuck with having to do it all over again with an accredited instructor.
Is there really that much to the training that cannot be assessed quickly?

(Not trying to be provocative here, but the DiveMaster doesn't include a lot of additional diving skills that wouldn't be covered in, for example, Rescue Diver. Aren't most of the DM skills to do with assisting an instructor, dive briefings for dive leading, dive planning, etc.?)

Is there really that much to the training that cannot be assessed quickly?

(Not trying to be provocative here, but the DiveMaster doesn't include a lot of additional diving skills that wouldn't be covered in, for example, Rescue Diver. Aren't most of the DM skills to do with assisting an instructor, dive briefings for dive leading, dive planning, etc.?)
There is a lot more than just "quickly assessed" diving skills. There are workshops, Rescue evaluations, working with students, mapping projects, site assessments, etc, most of which are rather time-consuming. I would not be comfortable taking on a student to "finish them" without proper referral paperwork from the previous instructor, which in this case is not possible. PADI does allow a formal referral from one instructor to another, but an inactive instructor cannot provide a referral.

Have you got access to your DM candidate training file? Surely this will contain your completed exams, knowledge reviews, action plan, skills circuit, stamina test, mapping project, workshop attendances, etc, etc. That combined with your student record with prerequisites, fee payment, assistant sign offs should be enough to satisfy the shop and PADI.

As @Wibble said, with the above supporting evidence, a day or two with another instructor should be enough for them to validate your application.

There is a lot more than just "quickly assessed" diving skills. There are workshops, Rescue evaluations, working with students, mapping projects, site assessments, etc, most of which are rather time-consuming. I would not be comfortable taking on a student to "finish them" without proper referral paperwork from the previous instructor, which in this case is not possible. PADI does allow a formal referral from one instructor to another, but an inactive instructor cannot provide a referral.
Thanks for clarifying that. Now see there's a lot more to the assessment than basic skills.

Why is that? If the student could document that they had done the training why would you be uncomfortable giving them whatever passes for a final exam, and if they pass, passing them?
I have seen active DMs (and instructors) that trained with an instructor (or CD) I did not know personally that I would not get in the pool with and feel comfortable. There are too many out there that rushed through a class, barely got through, and who might look ok in the water but have deficiencies in other areas that could pose a danger to students, myself, and the person coming to me.
Unless I personally knew the training instructor, I would not take the chance.
Even then, I'd require a number of pool sessions, dives, and classroom to satisfy myself they were ok.
I had this situation years ago. An active PADI DM wanted to come work with me when I was an SEI instructor. I told him fine but he'd need extensive remedial training to cross over. Because I did know his instructor and how they operated. No way I'd expose my students to that.

Wibble,

Several here have already answered your second paragraph. I'd like to address the first paragraph.

PADI very strictly preserves the wall between them and the businesses that provide instruction. Their magic word in describing their relationships is "non-agency."

I would expect their position to be that, as publishers of the training material the DM candidate bought, they have no responsibility for the fulfilling the agreement between the shop and the student to provide training.

Back
Top Bottom