What to expect when equalising?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's going to be quite dependent on your anatomy. If you have long, narrow Eustachian tubes, you may heard sounds as air passes through them, because the flow is restricted and/or turbulent. If you have patent Eustachian tubes, you may hear nothing (I almost never do) but just feel a relief from the pressure feeling in your ears.

Equalizing while descending is not procedurally different from pressurizing your ears on land. If you practice your equalization procedures on land, you should become accustomed to the sensations and possible sounds you experience when air is pushed into the middle ear. My browser is currently malfunctioning, or I would look up some links for you on equalization techniques -- but a quick search of the Diving Medicine subforum for threads about ear problems will turn them up. Play with the different techniques on land, and then try them in the water. Try pressurizing your ears BEFORE you begin your descent, and then make very sure you don't go down more than a couple of feet without doing it again. A lot of the trouble newer divers have with their ears comes from waiting far too long to equalize.

I equalize my ears every couple of feet, and put a little air in my BC or dry suit at the same time. It gives me a nice, controlled descent, and keeps my ears happy.

Stop what you are doing and perform a valsalva maneuver right now. When diving it should not be noticeably more pronounced than that.

One rule of thumb for beginners making a direct drop is to go down slow and do it on each breath. As you learn the threshold of need to can use more direction in deciding when to clear.

If you are needing to ascend or hit the wall you haven't kept up with it.

Pete

As noted above, different people hear or describe different sensations when equalizing is successful, but all experience a release of pressure and discomfort. When my ears are equalized I do not sense anything, no pressur5e, no discomfort, they are a non-issue. That is what you should look for.
DivemasterDennis

Excellent descriptions and ideas everyone. Thanks very much for that. I'll definitely be equalising earlier during my ascent (even starting at the surface). Looking forward to my next dive to see how it works.

Thanks,
Af.

The sounds you hear (or not) when equalising are dependent on how your eustachian tubes are structured (width etc.)

Below is a link to the freediving club I belong where there is a collection of links on equalising.

Auckland Freediving Club

I agree with the others with a sqeak, pop or hiss when equalizing. If your hearing remains slightly muffled but without discomfort, it could simply be some water in your ears :wink:

Got some wonderful ideas in this thread. You just can't read these in books. Thanks to all who contributed!

Keeping diving regularly, a dive will come when all you'll have to do is move your jaw side to side and you'll equalize. If I lay over the winter the 1st dive after a few months dry it's hard to clear even holding my nose, going up trying over and over and at that time it can be painful but, after a few weeks I just swallow or move my lower jaw and presto clear. Even then there are noises but usually no pain. I start after 3ft/1M before I feel the need, try to stay ahead of the changes. As long as things in your sinus and middle ear are normal a lot of diving will help a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom