what to use on UW camera/housing to keep it afloat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are some strong opinions on this subject, I see. I know a woman who lost her $10000 video camera at Truk because it did not float. I know a guy who lost his G9 rig at Moalboal because it did not float. Yeah, they should have had lanyards on the gear, but I think it was a case of "I thought you had it, what happened to it?" Things get crazy when you are entering or leaving the water sometimes, and that's when it usually happens. So, I have a lanyard, and my rigs are all positive slightly. That's me, do what you like, but I don't want my dive trip ruined by the headache of losing a rig.
I'd be out about $5k if I dropped my rig. I'd get over it, and I wouldn't let it ruin my dive trip. If you can't afford to lose it, you can't afford it. Like a $100 tie: if you have to flip it over your shoulder to eat, get a cheaper tie.

Things shouldn't "get crazy" entering or leaving the water, and if they do, losing your camera rig is one of the better possible outcomes. When boarding a boat in heavy seas, for example, I can imagine scenarios where that wrist lanyard becomes a real liability to your safety. My rig does have a tether on it that allows me to clip it to my shoulder D-ring, but generally I just hold it. If I need an extra hand to clear as I head down an anchor line in current I will clip it on.

I find a slightly negative camera more comfortable to handle underwater, but others may differ. As mentioned above, you can just as easily lose a camera that floats to the top as one that sinks to the bottom. Most would agree that close to neutral is a good idea--it won't float or sink too fast if you do lose your grip and you can probably catch it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom