What type of boat to buy??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went boating today. Actually we just took the rental cat out of the water and trailered it home to the barn for winter storage...

Some pics of me, the cat and the tow truck on the way home tonight.

And here's a link to the brag pictures on our website: Utleiebåt
(Must have lost the bikini lady somewhere along the way though...)

Attachments

• cat4.jpg
    cat4.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 68
  • cat1.JPG
    cat1.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 84
  • cat2.jpg
    cat2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 63
  • cat3.jpg
    cat3.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 78
Went boating today. Actually we just took the rental cat out of the water and trailered it home to the barn for winter storage...

Some pics of me, the cat and the tow truck on the way home tonight.

And here's a link to the brag pictures on our website: Utleiebåt
(Must have lost the bikini lady somewhere along the way though...)

HEY! It could possibly be used for diving as well. Hopefully not in high seas though... Great exit ways but no dive ladder, yet.

You guys can all laugh but I dive the Gulf of Mexico almost every weekend out to 15 miles in a 24DLX Carolina Skiff with a 130 hp Honda. Rides a little rough if you push it to fast when the weather gets sloppy. Feel safe as the hull is filled with foam (ala Boston Whaler) and amazingly enough they use a similar picture on their web site of a dump truck sitting on the hull. Best thing of it all with the flat bottom the fuel consumption beats anything V bottom hull I have ever owned. A day of diving with 6 divers and gear usually costs me around $20 in fuel and the boat bought new cost me about half of what any of the deep v's I have owned. The only down side is my wife thinks it looks like a barge. It is the most stable dive plateform I have every dived from.

You guys can all laugh but I dive the Gulf of Mexico almost every weekend out to 15 miles in a 24DLX Carolina Skiff with a 130 hp Honda. Rides a little rough if you push it to fast when the weather gets sloppy. Feel safe as the hull is filled with foam (ala Boston Whaler) and amazingly enough they use a similar picture on their web site of a dump truck sitting on the hull. Best thing of it all with the flat bottom the fuel consumption beats anything V bottom hull I have ever owned. A day of diving with 6 divers and gear usually costs me around $20 in fuel and the boat bought new cost me about half of what any of the deep v's I have owned. The only down side is my wife thinks it looks like a barge. It is the most stable dive plateform I have every dived from.

Why laugh, sounds like a nice boat? N

Why laugh, sounds like a nice boat? N

yeah, but he's in southern florida. I'd venture to imagine it's not the same as Alabama, Mississipi, Louisiana, or Texas.

All the chit chat and pics of aluminum (Al) boats has me thinking this is a good option. Light, solid, fairly maintenance free, etc... For discussions sake, what are thoughts of a 22' Al boat with a diesel inboard vs. gas outboard? I don't even know if a 22' Al diesel inboard exists or could be made. I see pros and cons to both options. Doug

All the chit chat and pics of aluminum (Al) boats has me thinking this is a good option. Light, solid, fairly maintenance free, etc... For discussions sake, what are thoughts of a 22' Al boat with a diesel inboard vs. gas outboard? I don't even know if a 22' Al diesel inboard exists or could be made. I see pros and cons to both options. Doug

My choise would definately be the diesel inboard, probably a 4 cylinder Yanmar. It would make it a better riding, more stable boat then the outboard but not as fast.

yeah, but he's in southern florida. I'd venture to imagine it's not the same as Alabama, Mississipi, Louisiana, or Texas.

I don't understand what your saying?

I was in Boston Harbor yesterday and the day before Grand Central Station and Times Square. Hmmm, interesting country.

N

Personally I'd go outboard on most any boat under 30'. I've had a 22' gas inboard/outboard for a few years and I'm spending the bucks to get rid of the engine and switch to twin 4 strokes. Diesel doesn't have some of the inherent problems that gas inboards have (electronic ignition and such) but you'd still have an inboard engine to deal with. It'll likely take up a fair amount of space in the cockpit and deckspace is king if you are planning to dive regularly. With an aluminum boat, they can easily make an engine mounting bracket that is an extension of the hull behind the transom and can double as a swim step. In effect you'll have a longer boat which'll improve your ride and your front to back buoyancy characteristics when at rest.

The diesel will probably give you better fuel economy. The outboard could be substantially quieter, some of the aluminum diesels I've been on you could hear coming a long ways away, but they were bigger than you are looking at. With inboards (especially if you are diving) it seems no matter what you do you are gonna get water in, on, or around the engine. I've come to the conclusion after doing this for a few years, and seeing friends with inboards have the same stye of problems, that automotive/truck style engines really aren't meant to be around water.

I have a 22 foot center console with a straight inboard not an I/O. It is a gas engine under the console and does not take up interior space like an I/O. I leaves a clear transom for a platform and/or ladder. The ride and seakeeping ability is better than an I/O or outboard because the center of gravity is centered and low in the hull. It rides better than a 24 center console I/O I had. It is simple, reliable and relatively easy to service. It's only faults is manuvering when docking, you don't have the vectored thrust of an I/O or outboard, and extreme shallow water capability. If the the engine compartment is properly built there should be very little water getting to the engine. I agree I/O's are a nightmare, too many parts, seals, bearing, trim cylinders, boots,etc. The straight inboard is the way to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom