What type of line to use on my speargun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The $25 spears must be advertized in his magazine that is no where to be found! or they're plastic.

Just go a dive shop and get a shock cord. around $5+

spring steel...ray odor sells them for $35. my brother gets his sea hornet shafts for $25 from a guy in St Pete. :lotsalove:

You can get the magazine on eBay or from our website, jerky.

much better range freeshafting, better accuracy, and quicker reloads. obviously if you're freediving get a lineshaft. DON'T waste your money on a coil bungie line, just terrible.

Charlie

I have used a pole spear for the last 20 years. I have recently gotten into scuba and want to get out there and get some big fish.

My question is what type of line to use for my speargun. I have an older sea hornet 48". I have looked at the old line thats on there now and new high test mono line and reels. I know the pros use free shaft, but I can afford to loose those dang expensive spears...

Any help and knowledge is appreciated.

As you are just getting into using a speargun, my recommendation would be for you to take your gun to a local dive shop and have them install a regular shockline on it. You can get one with kevlar line for just over $10 and this will be perfect for you. To this day, after 35 years of spearing, I still use this line on some of my guns. If you are not spearing commercially, then you will land plenty of fish for your personal consumption with this standard setup. I know I do. Good luck with your 48" sea hornet.

The $25 spears must be advertized in his magazine that is no where to be found! or they're plastic.

Just go a dive shop and get a shock cord. around $5+

That's funny donkeys, I too would like to get in on those "quality" spear shafts for $25.00. If someone can tell me where they can be purchased, I would like to order at least 10 of them.

spring steel...ray odor sells them for $35. my brother gets his sea hornet shafts for $25 from a guy in St Pete. :lotsalove:

I didn't ask about the $35 shafts, I asked about the $25 shafts. I was hoping to get a better answer than "a guy", can you be more specific? Since you can't and won't (I have asked you before) post any pictures of all the big fish you have shot in your short-lived spearfishing career, perhaps you can post pictures of these amazing shafts?

much better range freeshafting, better accuracy, and quicker reloads. obviously if you're freediving get a lineshaft. DON'T waste your money on a coil bungie line, just terrible.

How are you going to get better (longer) range without adding power? I'll answer that... you can't. It's simple conservation of momentum, the only way to increase momentum is to increase velocity (assuming the mass of the spear is held constant). The only way to increase velocity (which will be a function of acceleration) is to get a bigger gun, add more bands, or increase the power of the bands.

Here is a picture of my wife's "hole" gun, I'll post a picture of my Kitto later (I only bring her Riffe to work- I can use it as a jackhammer underwater in case of emergency). It's powered by 3 of Mori's 15mm "Mean Green" bands that are extreme mod, which means it is the equivalent of Riffe or Spearfishing Specailties high mod 3/4'' diameter bands.

greenbands.JPG

My point is there is absolutely no way in hell that a freeshaft gun (a similar size of course) is going to have a longer range than a line gun with a lot more power. With the gun above I have effectively increased the range by about 3 feet (would be more if the gun was bigger). Furthermore, you would not want that kind of power on a freeshaft gun because this gun will string reef fish.

Accuracy is a function of band stretch, band modulous, band diameter, shaft diameter, shaft length, shaft design, tip design, and balancing. On guns I shoot the coefficient of friction for monofilament in water is negligable considering the order of magnitude of all the dynamics involved. On some guns it may not be so negligable.

Are there any physics/mechanics to back-up Clownson's hypothesis? Please share... and don't forget about the awesome $25 spear connection too.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
I didn't ask about the $35 shafts, I asked about the $25 shafts. I was hoping to get a better answer than "a guy", can you be more specific? Since you can't and won't (I have asked you before) post any pictures of all the big fish you have shot in your short-lived spearfishing career, perhaps you can post pictures of these amazing shafts?

How are you going to get better (longer) range without adding power? I'll answer that... you can't. It's simple conservation of momentum, the only way to increase momentum is to increase velocity (assuming the mass of the spear is held constant). The only way to increase velocity (which will be a function of acceleration) is to get a bigger gun, add more bands, or increase the power of the bands.

Here is a picture of my wife's "hole" gun, I'll post a picture of my Kitto later (I only bring her Riffe to work- I can use it as a jackhammer underwater in case of emergency). It's powered by 3 of Mori's 15mm "Mean Green" bands that are extreme mod, which means it is the equivalent of Riffe or Spearfishing Specailties high mod 3/4'' diameter bands.

greenbands.JPG

My point is there is absolutely no way in hell that a freeshaft gun (a similar size of course) is going to have a longer range than a line gun with a lot more power. With the gun above I have effectively increased the range by about 3 feet (would be more if the gun was bigger). Furthermore, you would not want that kind of power on a freeshaft gun because this gun will string reef fish.

Accuracy is a function of band stretch, band modulous, band diameter, shaft diameter, shaft length, shaft design, tip design, and balancing. On guns I shoot the coefficient of friction for monofilament in water is negligable considering the order of magnitude of all the dynamics involved. On some guns it may not be so negligable.

Are there any physics/mechanics to back-up Clownson's hypothesis? Please share... and don't forget about the awesome $25 spear connection too.

Regards,
Chris

If you shoot the same gun with the same number/length/diameter bands - I guarantee you the freeshaft (speedshaft with single small flopper) has less DRAG than any line shaft, especially on a Biller with its huge slide ring and double floppers. Thus the freeshaft maintains speed longer(decelerating less), a shaft does not accelerate after it leaves the gun.
And if you only have 2 wraps of shooting line on a 48" gun, I guarantee a freeshaft will travel farther than you're line will go. Yeah, you could put 5 bands on some huge gun for bluewater, duh. A freeshafter will outshoot a lineshafter while scuba on reefs and ledges all day long.
Freediving is entirely different. Obviously.

You can see pics of fish I've shot on Spearfishing Planet. I did place 2nd out of 100 divers in the TBSC Winter Invitational earlier this year, my first tournament ever, but I guess that doesn't mean anything to you bitter pros:mooner:. Here's a few pics:

Viz report Wed 9-12-07 - Spearfishing Planet

viz report - anclote - 9/15 - Spearfishing Planet

Late 12-12 report out of Gulf Harbors - Spearfishing Planet

I'll work on getting the name of the guy who makes Biller shafts for $25, seriously. My brother got a few, I currently shoot Riffe shafts that I got from Ray Odor, $35 each earlier this year.

And here are Ray Odor's prices for spring steel shafts for the guys 48" Biller gun that we are talking about freeshafting with: $30 for 48" freeshafts...

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 455
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom