What type of line to use on my speargun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's powered by 3 of Mori's 15mm "Mean Green" bands

Chris,

The Cali boys swear by the Mori's rubber. Do you like it and does it hold up as long as some of the other rubber like Riffe, etc? I think Mike at Florida Freedivers is carrying some of his products in West Palm & I'm thinking of picking some up.

Johnoly

If you shoot the same gun with the same number/length/diameter bands - I guarantee you the freeshaft (speedshaft with single small flopper) has less DRAG than any line shaft, especially on a Biller with its huge slide ring and double floppers. Thus the freeshaft maintains speed longer(decelerating less), a shaft does not accelerate after it leaves the gun.

It never occured to me that I should repower my guns and get rid of my Alexander/Riffe shafts so that you can say your freeshaft shoots farther.

A freeshafter will outshoot a lineshafter while scuba on reefs and ledges all day long.

Quit drinking the Kool-Aid Clownson. Are you really suggesting freeshafts into ledges/holes are wise? I hope these freeshafters are a little quicker than the video's on your magazine's website because I can line my shaft up 50X faster than whatever the heck they are doing.

You can see pics of fish I've shot on Spearfishing Planet. I did place 2nd out of 100 divers in the TBSC Winter Invitational earlier this year, my first tournament ever, but I guess that doesn't mean anything to you bitter pros:mooner:. Here's a few pics:.

LOL... nice fish.

Don't forget about the $25 Spearfishing Specialties (post #12) or Biller (post #18)or whatever you change your mind to next shafts.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
I use Specta. Usually 1.75mm. It is thinner than regular shooting line and does not kink or have memory effects.

I have been getting shafts from Ray Odor. They are good price and OK. I had to do some more machining for my tips and adapters to fit perfectly. Also if 2 shafts are placed against each other, I saw a gap. I think there should be no space when holding 2 shafts for a perfectly straight shaft.
Spearfishing Supplies by Ray Odor

Reels, shooting line, and some parts from SCUBASWorld. Reels - ScubasWorld

A good shop should be able to string with a good line.

Parts and shooting line from Neptonics.
Speargun and Freediving Equipment

Link to Wiki about Spectra
Ultra high molecular weight polyethylene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Chris,

The Cali boys swear by the Mori's rubber. Do you like it and does it hold up as long as some of the other rubber like Riffe, etc? I think Mike at Florida Freedivers is carrying some of his products in West Palm & I'm thinking of picking some up.

Johnoly

Hey John,

Mori's green rubber is awesome, awesome, awesome!!! I like it so much that all my guns will have nothing but the "mean green" on them. When I'm diving every day I was having to replace my Riffe bands at least once a week, whereas the green bands will hold up about a month. They are alot (alot alot alot) more powerful, so don't cut them short. If you tie the bands yourself, you'll want stronger wishbone. I have Mori tie them for me and I think he's using 350 lb spectra (??- the purple and pink only comes in one size and I forget exactly what it is but it works great- the wishbones he ties them with simply don't wear out). I frequently pull the spear off of my wife's gun to use as a jackhammer on the rocks in Ft. Pierce (I'm not reccomending it for anyone) with the bands still on and I've never damaged one to render it unuseable.

The only valid complaint I've heard is that they are hard to pull. I've heard a couple guys "say" that they have "tried them" and complain they spit too easy if you knick them against the rocks, however I have found that it's just not true (no more so than any other rubber).

I tried to talk to FF Mike about them once about them (I was really excited when I first tried them), but for what it's worth he avoided the conversation like the plague- I can only speculate but there were customers in his shop at the time and I could see why he didn't want me talking about how great they are, so I took his lead and dropped the conversation.

Mori is the only one who has them in stock now, Kitto and Alexander are all "out" (unless you buy one of their guns- then they can come up with some... lol)
Mori's email is Morifish@aol.com, that's how I order them. Right now he has it in 14 and 15mm.

Regards,
Chris

Wow, guys. Tons of info here for me. I think I have decided NOT to freeshaft. I think I will use the quick load mono line or make my own.

Nobody here has used a reel and I dont know how they work. So for now I think I will leave that for later thought.

Ray Odor's place is not far from me, so I think I will pick up a couple spare shafts... just incase.

The last few post have got me thinking about different rubbers, which I havent even thought about.

I use an Omer Match Aluminum Reel. It works well. If you are freediving, a reel or float line is good. I freedive kelp. I use my boogie board as a float in open areas not around kelp. The Spectra shooting line I use is a braided fiber. I just tie it to my shaft spring. A high quality swivel clip ($3-5) can be used for ease of changing shafts.

Last edited:
Wow, guys. Tons of info here for me. I think I have decided NOT to freeshaft. I think I will use the quick load mono line or make my own.

Nobody here has used a reel and I dont know how they work. So for now I think I will leave that for later thought.

Ray Odor's place is not far from me, so I think I will pick up a couple spare shafts... just incase.

The last few post have got me thinking about different rubbers, which I havent even thought about.

Dude, pick up a few of the shafts. there only $25.

If I could just get cldomson1 to post where his buddy get those I would! :D

I'll give you $5 each for up to 5 freeshafts if you buy them from Ray. Where are you located? Maybe you can come out with us and we'll freeshaft together. You'll rarely use a lineshaft again.

I can show you several guns with various set-ups... and I guarantee you'll go home with filets!!

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom