What undergarments for 50-60 degrees?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Up here over the summer, the thermocline is in the 60-80 foot range, and a balmy 35-40 degrees. When below the line, I use a Bare CT200 undergarment. Love it, but the thing is, its overkill for the shallower stuff. Summer temps may hit 70 at the surface, but obviously that is a max. I'm trying to find a suitable layer for that 55-65 degree water. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

---------- Post added April 2nd, 2012 at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was April 1st, 2012 at 02:56 PM ----------

nothing?

First, buy a new drysuit... : )

I dive with the amazing Comfort Zone 3mm Neoprene drys suit. This stretchy, flexable, self donning, rear entry drysuit is 1/2 the price of most other suits and comfy for all weather.

I wear a bathing suit and tank top under it - literally -down to about 60 degree water. From 50 - 60 I put on a short sleeve under armour shirt (the wicking kind) and a pair of sweatpants. From 40 - 50 degree water I put on a Long sleeve thermal underwear top and bottom from Walmart ($8) and a pair of sweat pants. From 30 - 40 degrees I add a sweatshirt. I have never gone below 30 degrees... and hope I never do... but the thermal insulating properties of 3mm neoprene is amazing with minimal other thermal protection.

Happy Diving!

You need to consider what will happen when you flood your suit. Even a small tear in your seal will ruin your day.

Thinsulate does a good job of insulating when wet.

+1 on the Halo.

I tried one on it it has slits for the p-valve and stretches really nice. I've been wearing the DUI midrange stuff, but for the price I'm going to go with halo next winter. Temperature is in the 60's now and I'm just wearing drybase.

I think a halo would be perfect for 50's very comfortable and warm.

Have you checked out the wireless Thermalution? It is on the expensive side compared to other undersuit garments, but this battery powered undersuit is by far the most advanced temperature control device currently available for dry suit diving. It has a wireless wrist-watch controller to adjust for the Thermocline as you need it. You can turn the suit to medium on the bottom and then low or off for your safety stop. Theincrease/decrease in heat from the suit can be felt within about 5 seconds of activating the wireless control watch.

Newyellowgradeback__67587_zoom.jpg

More info found here.

I am good in my Hollis AUG 100 Undergarment down to about the mid 50's.

In the 50-60 degree range i am usually using my whites mk3 with the whites mk0 as a bse wicking layer. If it is closer to the 50 degree mark i will add my mk3 vest.

Now i will say that i am really wimpy when it comes to cold, i also usually wear my dry gloves in 60 degree water temps so im not a good base for most people, ive also worn the pinnacle merino lined undergarments at that temperature range and have been warm.

Using a converter I found my 13°C might fit in here.
I used weezle 200 undergarmeint with my Trilam suit on Sunday and felt slightly cold in above mentioned 13°C (aprox 55°F) so I am considering buying additional underwear.
I do not know whether I should go for Fourth Elements Thinsulate under my Weezle or get myself DUI 300 undergarment to replace it for this temperature range.

Back
Top Bottom