What weight system do you use with your harness/backplate set up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a DSS stainless plate with the weight plates and a steel tank. In my drysuit with a light undergarment, I only put 6 pounds on a weight belt. With a heavy undergarment, I think it is 12.

I use soft weights in an XS scuba belt.

Every sinew twists when I hear of people placing weight further back than the plate and the suggestion of dumping from a cam band makes my head fall off.

Every sinew twists when I hear of people placing weight further back than the plate and the suggestion of dumping from a cam band makes my head fall off.

whys that??

Well I'm sold on the rubber weight belts! I'll definately be getting one of these. I'm thinking I'll get one of these and put up with the large amount of weight I need to carry on the belt until I invest in a SS backplate and steel tank. Currently my dive club only rents out aluminium tanks. I like the V weights for use with doubles however I probably wouldn't need anymore weight if I were diving twin steel tanks, I wonder if there's a similar thing on the market which would fit into the channel of your backplate. Has anyone seen this before?

I was able to drop about 4lbs when I went from Al80 to HP100. Another 3lbs from 7mm Farmer John to 9mm one piece wetsuit.

There are soft weights with brass grommets for bolting to plate. Expensive. I do not know if would fit in channel.

None. But on the rare occasions when I dive a single with my old TransPac I use a DUI harness.

Gary

Hi there,

I recently bought a harness/backplate set up and am currently still diving with a weight belt. I dive mostly cold water and use approximately 8-9Kg (17-20Lbs), so it's usually about 5 lead blocks. I have tried the weight belt both under the under and over and find both to be uncomfortable.

I don't really want to buy the quick release weight systems that they sell for these types of harnesses because they seem very bulky. What are others using, what works for you? I'm thinking of trying a neoprene belt with soft lead shots, what do others think?

Thanks!

I use Golem weight pockets with my Halcyon setup. They slip right over my waist webbing and attach to my backplate via a single screw. They inner weight pocket in the Golem is designed for quick release in the event you need to ditch your weight.

This is what I use - but I replaced the buckle with a stainless steel one.

ImageGen.aspx

POCKET WEIGHT BELT - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC

I got rid of my weightbelt for very cold water use a few dives ago.

I find that I need to put weight on my top cam strap and bottom cam strap to achieve good trim in cold water. Normally I dive a drysuit, so I don't need ditchable weight. However, I opted to put three sets of weight pouches on my rig: two on the top cam, two on the bottom, and two on the BP belt (where they are ditchable). I had a spare XS Scuba weight belt laying about that I wasn't using:

Edit: the image link doesn't work...

Mine had two strings of four pockets on a side (the one above has three pockets on a side) so I separated them/cut them apart with scissors, melted the ends, and sewed the pockets where their integrity had been damaged by cutting using an awl. It was a bit of work, but for $35 I ended up with 8 pockets. :)

When not in use the pockets occupy no space.

whys that??

Because most people are not flexible enough or long-limbed enough to reach around to their back and dump weights from a cam band, especially if the air bladder is inflated. Also, placing the weight on the cam band (which I do) makes for a setup which is more unstable than if the weights were on the plate since the mass (weight) is above the source of lift (the wing). It becomes very easy to turtle yourself if you stack on enough weight. I prefer a modified frog kick since it doesn't make me "waddle" side-to-side when I have weights stacked onto the cam band.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom