What weight system do you use with your harness/backplate set up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband uses a DUI Weight & Trim, and likes it a lot. The only downside is that, if you practice dumping weights, it's a PITA to put them back.

I used a pocketed weight belt and soft weights for some time, until I lost a five pound weight out of one of the pockets during a dive, and did the ascent hanging onto kelp stipes. I now use hard weights on a belt, and if they are arranged correctly, I find them quite comfortable.

You can also buy soft weight belts in calibrated weights, which you might find less objectionable.

I like the rubber belt and can't imagine why everyone doesn't use them! If there's a downside relative to nylon, aside from durability, I haven't found it. No slippage is my favorite plus. I use 3, 4, and 5 pound hard weights. The give of the belt probably helps a bit with comfort, but if it's the focal hard spot that makes you uncomfortable, I'd try the shot bags in pouches on the rubber belt. I really don't like the inertial effect of placing weights farther away from my center of gravity, or on something where they can move around, and my rig weighs enough as it is.

I seem to recall weight mounted along the centerline of the backplate - that would keep it close to your body and lessen the amount on your belt.

Weightbelts can get uncomfortable when too much weight is mounted on them or you don't have hips that help hold them up.
Try a weight harness like the DUI Weight and Trim.

As Leadturn SD mentioned, figure out how much ditchable weight you are comfortable with.
The rest of the lead can then be mounted as non-ditchable weight on your rig wherever it helps trim you out best. A couple of XS Scuba weight pockets on tank cambands can serve this purpose. If more weight is needed at the hips for proper horizontal trim, you can load up the pockets on the DUI Weight and Trim.

If you'd like to decrease the amount of lead weight you need to carry, you could switch to a steel tank which has more inherent ballast than the tanks you currently use (AL80s?).

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated. I'd forgot to mention...i'm diving a OMS Comfort II system with OMS aluminium backplate and OMS steel STA.

A S/S backplate would greatly reduce my problem, I went the cheap option at the time, which I regret now. Something I'll invest in-in the future.

As for now it looks like I have a few more avenues to explore. Attaching weights to the cam bands looks like a good solution. Also the rubber weight belts are a great idea, I'd never even heard of these!

Once again thank you all!

Take care

A heavy backplate (standard steel BP weighs 4-5lbs more than an AL plate, and there are even heavier options) and a V-weight (11lbs) will get rid of most of that weight for you. Even just a V-weight with an AL plate would do 'ya fine, and that way it's centered over your lungs/wing.

Personally I don't dive with ditchable weight. Look up "balanced rig" to see how to do this safely if you're interested.

Keep an eye out for a used SS PB. There have been many killer deals on unused or lightly used SS BP on this board as well as SCUBAToys.

SS BP/STA about 6.5lbs versus Al BP/SS STA about 2.6 lbs = about 4lbs difference.

With a comfortable rubber belt using an SS BP/STA. 20lbs(current weight belt) - 4lbs (SS BP) = about 16lbs should be comfortable with much of weight on belt.

Options on rubber belts:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...systems/318220-scuba-divers-weight-belts.html

You may want to look into the Zeagle Ripcord weight system for BP/W's. I believe it fits on most or all BPs by attaching to the holes at the bottom of the plate and the waist webbing.

I have had problems with wanting to turn turtle when I get very much weight behind me on the cam bands. Between a steel tank and the weights the center of gravity gets far enough behind me that I tend to want to roll over on my back. I have found that trim weights placed in pouches on my chest straps work much better for me.

I shed 8lbs when I went to the BP and wing from a BC, but still wearing the remaining 8lbs on a weight belt. I like the zippered style weight belt with depth compensating buckle and soft weights. I put the crotch strap over the weight belt with the two buckles offset and opening in opposite directions.

+1 for the xs scuba pockets i use two on the top cam band with 5lbs block in each. id do two more on your waist strap if i were u that way u could dump them try them on ur bottom cam band too u may be able to dump them from there depending on ur flexibility then all the weight would be behind you.

Between my DSS stainless steel plate and (weighted) STA adapters for Al singles, and the same plate for both Al and steel doubles, I've all the ballast I need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom