What went wrong here....anything?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beachman
I fear, my reaction to your initial post, was much to my shame , was rather a knee-jerk one. ID, and others are right of course that fingers could be pointed all over the place. As divers we are responsible for ourselves. AND I should get all the facts before I start judging!

I'm reviewing my PADI Rescue Diver material (as a refresher before the season starts) and there's a story in it that describes some very similar. A number of divers, a challenging situation, then choices made.

Thank you for filling in the blanks. A potentially deadly situation was dealt with in what sounds like a very efficient and effective manner. A bonus if the company learned from the mistake (based on you overhearing various conversations).

I have to agree with some of the posts above. This sounds like a fairly advanced dive with possible changing conditions. Everyone needs to be aware of the conditions, properly equipped and trained for a dive like this. ESPECIALLY for advanced dives, the DM should only be viewed as a tour guide not as a support or buddy diver. It is an unsafe and unwise practice to rely upon strangers for dive support in conditions such as this.

Be self reliant, properly trained, and responsible for yourself. It is a tragedy that anyone was hurt on this dive. However they must take personal responsibility for getting into a dive that was beyond them. I hope they can all recover, continue to dive, and learn a valuable lesson. DIVE YOUR PLAN! But more importantly, be prepared for the worst case scenario!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom