whats better ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBA-J

Reaction score
Whats a better cylinder ? 3442 psi with a pro valve or a 3500 psi with a 300 BAR Din? I would just like to see what SCUBA board thinks .

SCUBA-J:
Whats a better cylinder ? 3442 psi with a pro valve or a 3500 psi with a 300 BAR Din? I would just like to see what SCUBA board thinks .
If the cylinders you are considering are the same capacity at their rated pressures then just get the one that you like better is has a better price. I must assume that you will be using a DIN regulator so the ability for you to convert the 3442 Pro DIN valve to yoke is probably not an issue. The two cylinders will most likely have different threads for the cylinder to valve connection, but this would only be a factor if you replace the valve at some later date, and even then you just need to get the correct size.

The 300 BAR DIN fitting will only fit a 300 BAR DIN regulator fitting, but most modern regulators with DIN fittings will work just fine.

Mark Vlahos

Mark Vlahos:
The 300 BAR DIN fitting will only fit a 300 BAR DIN regulator fitting, but most modern regulators with DIN fittings will work just fine.

Mark Vlahos

Just a small note on this, ScubaPro still ships regs as INT (yoke), 200 bar DIN and 300 bar DIN. Why they do this is beyond any logic I guess, but it should not be overlooked easily.

I don't know how other vendors approach this.

200 bar DIN reg will not fit 300 bar fitting on the tank like you mention, as it has smaller number of threads and the connector is shorter. 300 bar DIN reg will fit any DIN version on the tank valve, it will just stick out a bit.

I didn't know of this, and have ended up with 200 bar DIN MK25. Not that there's anything wrong with that, as I don't have any 300 bar tanks. But...

Hope you don't mind me butting in. Not trying to hijack here.
My reg has the yoke fitting rated to 3500psi. What's your opinion on my using it on a 3500 psi tank?

SCUBA-J:

The 3442 PSI tanks have a standard 3/4” pipe thread and if needed replacement valves will always be available. Also the neck opening is larger making less of a pain to inspect and tumble/ service the tank. This may not seem like a big deal at this point, but it has become an issue with some older tanks with small straight neck threads.

Also the valves in the 3442 PSI tanks are more versatile. Being able to use a yoke or a DIN on a fill station can be very useful. After seen the condition on the male threads on the DIN fitting in some fill stations, you may prefer to connect with a yoke.

If you have a choice I would steer clear of the 3500 PSI tanks. My understanding is that most of them used the smaller (7/8” threads) neck threads. If I am correct those valves are being phased out and may be very hard to find in the future. Cleaning the inside of a tank with a small neck opening is a royal pain.

all4scuba05:
Hope you don't mind me butting in. Not trying to hijack here.
My reg has the yoke fitting rated to 3500psi. What's your opinion on my using it on a 3500 psi tank?

Using a yoke at 3500 PSI is perfectly OK. I have yokes that are rated for 4000 PSI. The Calypso (Cousteau) divers used to use yoke connections to 5000 PSI.

3442 psi tank with a ProValve (converts from yoke to DIN).

Luis H:
Using a yoke at 3500 PSI is perfectly OK. I have yokes that are rated for 4000 PSI. The Calypso (Cousteau) divers used to use yoke connections to 5000 PSI.
This is true, technically.

In the real world, I have seen a LOT of o-rings blow on people trying attach yoke regs to their HP tanks. No big deal if you have a spare, but a hassle nonetheless... and a dive-killer if you don't have a spare handy.

I prefer DIN, and all my regs are DIN (tho I always carry a yoke adapter).

That said, I would choose the pro valve in a heartbeat, because there have been a number of times when I would like to dive a second dive, and have a spare tank filled and ready to go (DIN only), but the only other people up for a dive only had yoke regs, so I was unable to share my tank. If my tanks had the newer pro valves, I could have screwed the yoke donut back in for them and gone diving.

I think there is some minor confusion about PSI ratings:

Tanks are generally rated in psi from 2440-3500psi. This is important.

Valves are rated for all kind of wacky things; 3000psi, 3180psi, 3300psi, 4000psi etc. This is NOT really important. A 4000psi valve might be worse than a 3000psi valve.

There is also ZERO correlation between tank ratings and valve rating. With the notable exception of HP Steel tanks which have a different valve.

If you plan to use DIN only get a 300 bar DIN, if you want to use yoke/din get a Pro Valve.

I sell and distribute cylinders and valves and my recommendation is;

A Pro (convertible). Use it as a DIN connection, keep the insert available in your dive kit. If any of your equipment fails it offers you the ultimate in flexibility. The group I dive with always has spare equipment but you never know what the configuration will be.

Lee
www.seapearls.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom