What's in a (user) Name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It has been fun reading the back stories on other members. When I first signed into scubaboard, my first 3 username attempts were taken. By the the 4th try, I was thinking, "Well, let's try this. . ." and "keep it simple". I have been a swimmer as far back as I can remember, & a springboard diver for a number of years in there, as well. After that, my husband & I began scuba, so all in all - I thought Flutter fitting, I've been doing it most of my life.
My avatar is changed on occasion; the current photo was taken on a shore dive in Cayman Brac with my husband/buddy. (As for the names that didn't make it, I believe the " Shorediver" username was one, & I have it in other forums, as that's our preferred method of diving). :happywave:
It's also fun seeing the other pilots in this forum, as my husband is a GA pilot/aeronautical engr & flies us to some of our destinations, most recently CB, in our 1952 V-tail Bonaza (test flying some of his employers' instruments & brain-storming "what about" new R&D ideas for the cockpit). Scuba & pilots must share similar character/personality traits. :D

Last edited:
"Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war."
My avatar reflects that I am an alum of the greatest institute of higher education in the SEC, the University of Missouri. (Bring on the haters.)

Well, mine might fall under the "intriguing" category but the truth is that I got divorced and was on some dating sites and wanted a user name that might get some attention. I saw references in a couple of movies and it appeared that many women were attracted to James Bond, at least the Sean Connery Bond. So since I'm not a spy or anything and not particularly interested in a bunch of one-night stands I modified it a little and changed it to James Bon, the French word for good. The 92007 sounded cool and it locates me in Southern California plus my name is James. When I found SB it was fresh in my mind so it carried over.

I guess it worked--I found a girlfriend!

A "Schwaeble" (or if you have the "Umlauts": "Schwäble") is a small or young "Schwob".
A Schwob is a person from the German region of Swabia. A Swabian. But Schwob was already taken as username ... by somebody who never posted...
On the one hand, I am neither small, nor young so maybe some day I should ask if I could have that unused account username. On the otherhand, I am no giant in diving and rather still wet behind the ears, so, Schwaeble sort of fits.

The Swabians are known as the thinkers and tinkers in Germany... and they sort of are. They are also known as very tightfisted... and they sort of are.
In a generally incorrect and heavily simplified way (no clans, no kilts, no bagpipes...), but for both above reasons sort of not bad simplification Swabians could be explained to English speakers as the Scots of Germany.

If copper pennies were introduced in Scotland and in Swabia at around the same time, copper wire would have been independantly co-invented in both places at around the same time by two people in each place seeing a penny on the road at the same time...

I live in the US now for about as long as I lived in Swabia, but at the core of my being I am a Swabian... Just can't help it...

The avatar, just a picture I took, chosen by virtue of being one of the few not too horrid ones. Thought I would change it every so often. Just don't get around sorting and cataloging and "nicifying" pictures at all. I used to like slides. Frame it right, expose it right, done. Digital pics can be improved endlessly. Extremely useful, but not my thing. (and I am about a thousand miles behind the learning curve...)

A "Schwaeble" (or if you have the "Umlauts": "Schwäble") is a small or young "Schwob".
A Schwob is a person from the German region of Swabia. A Swabian. But Schwob was already taken as username ... by somebody who never posted...
On the one hand, I am neither small, nor young so maybe some day I should ask if I could have that unused account username. On the otherhand, I am no giant in diving and rather still wet behind the ears, so, Schwaeble sort of fits.

The Swabians are known as the thinkers and tinkers in Germany... and they sort of are. They are also known as very tightfisted... and they sort of are.
In a generally incorrect and heavily simplified way (no clans, no kilts, no bagpipes...), but for both above reasons sort of not bad simplification Swabians could be explained to English speakers as the Scots of Germany.

If copper pennies were introduced in Scotland and in Swabia at around the same time, copper wire would have been independantly co-invented in both places at around the same time by two people in each place seeing a penny on the road at the same time...

I live in the US now for about as long as I lived in Swabia, but at the core of my being I am a Swabian... Just can't help it...

The avatar, just a picture I took, chosen by virtue of being one of the few not too horrid ones. Thought I would change it every so often. Just don't get around sorting and cataloging and "nicifying" pictures at all. I used to like slides. Frame it right, expose it right, done. Digital pics can be improved endlessly. Extremely useful, but not my thing. (and I am about a thousand miles behind the learning curve...)

Well, look at that. Amazing place this ScubaBoard!
A very kind moderator (or administrator? what are you @RainPilot?) offered that I could easily have my username changed and voila, now I am a full grown "Schwob"...
THANKS!

Moderator and you’re most welcome Schwob.

When I went to Bonaire for the first time in 1999 I was in shore diving heaven. Shorediver was already taken, but shoredivr was free. It's interesting to me how many posters don't notice the missing final "e".

@shoredivr , good one. Love shore diving as well - Bonaire, Curaçao, Cayman Brac, so far. What have we missed? (You have a lot more dives).

I cannot remember if I answered the OPs question, and I am too damned lazy to search, so here is my answer. If it differs from
a previous answer it's because I am not right, in the head.

Green_Manelishi is an alternate spelling of Green Manalishi, which is part of the song title "The Green Manalishi with the two pronged crown", written by Peter Green. When I was a CS student in the mid 1980s, and "needed" a process name which was not the same as my username, that's what I chose, when I logged into a VT. When I logged in to a line printer, my process name was set as "Killing_Machine".

When I went "online" some years later, using Green Manelishi made sense.

Are you not glad that you asked?

Back
Top Bottom