What's in a (user) Name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ting Tong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Having been a member for a little while now I have seen a fair few of the regular posters usernames. Some are self explanatory, some are humorous, some intriguing while some downright mysterious.

So what's in a username?

My username "Ting Tong (ติ๊งต๊อง)" is the english phonetically spoken word "crazy, mad, wacky (something along those lines)" in Thai. I lived in Thailand for seven years, and it's a word I heard on a daily basis, although thankfully not necessarily about me.

BTW my avatar is of my dog Ting Tong, an English bulldog at 4 months old.

So what is in your Username or Avatar?

Dave

Last edited:
Im a pilot. I do cloud seeding to make it rain.

Wingy > Littlewing has been my nickname since I was about 17 I think - Jimi Hendrix song.

I had to google that song.

"Well, she's walking through the clouds
with a circus mind
that's running round.
Butterflies and zebras and moonbeams
and fairy tales,"

Your avatar seems to have wings as well. :)

OrcaTorch= Orca+ torch= dive light. LOL:thumb2:

Nice!

Im a pilot. I do cloud seeding to make it rain.

Rain Pilot? I would have guessed a pilot that flies into storms for data. Mind you coming from the UAE makes perfect sense to me now.

Well, the other half of the job is data collection in the storms so yep, you were right!

I live in Canada. First time I signed up on a scuba rec.net/forum, I knew very little about posting. It was chilly in my computer room and my nickname was born. I actually signed up here perhaps 20? years ago also as "chilly" which was my nick at another site.

A decade or so ago, I was diving in Roatan and wanted to ask a question of Scubaboard. I couldn't get in as chilly so dubbed myself chillyinRoatan. I didn't read or post for a good portion of time and subsequently my email address changed. By then, I couldn't get back in as just chilly or chillyinRoatan because Scubaboard identified my nick as used (ya, used by me :wink:).

Ergo, same person/persona became chillyinCanada which due to a typo, near as I can figure, dropped the capitalization.

Aren't you glad you asked?

Good to have you here TingTong.

About 400 of my first 800 dives were on the wreck of the RMS Rhone, so for a diving message board site I adopted the moniker: Rhone Man.

Afterwards my wife said I should have called myself "The Rhone Ranger". Yeah, that would have been better.

Weirdly, since then I have probably dived it only 2 or 3 times in the last 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom