What's in your pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for it to state that it's o2 clean, that's typically on the VIS sticker (punched out) or on a seperate o2 clean sticker beside the VIS sticker.

I sort of remember that.

i dont know how you do your math but 18% is not enriched air nitrox it is depleated air nitrox if anything. i think i would agree that 18/72 is nitrox. as far as the benifits of hypoxic mixes, (i am not a techie) but the n2 is the controlling gas. the benifit gained from lower o2 cant be realized till far after the pricew of the n2 is realized.
looking only at the o2 part of the equation it sounds good as far as ox tox goes but.... you jwould now have to have what ... a deco or reco bottle to surface with.

if i am wrong someone correct me.

Where did I say 18% was enriched air nitrox? That's EXACTLY what I said it isn't. I only said it was a nitrox blend. Sheesh.

For dives where you'd want hypoxic mixes, you're already going to incur a (somewhat substantial) deco obligation. Whether that means off-gassing nitrogen (nitrox or trimix) or helium (heliox or trimix), you're still doing the deco. At least with a lower PPO2 you don't have to worry about toxing. I'd rather spend a few extra boring minutes hanging out than shaking uncontrollably. But that's just me.

Where did I say 18% was enriched air nitrox? That's EXACTLY what I said it isn't. I only said it was a nitrox blend. Sheesh.

For dives where you'd want hypoxic mixes, you're already going to incur a (somewhat substantial) deco obligation. Whether that means off-gassing nitrogen (nitrox or trimix) or helium (heliox or trimix), you're still doing the deco. At least with a lower PPO2 you don't have to worry about toxing. I'd rather spend a few extra boring minutes hanging out than shaking uncontrollably. But that's just me.

here is the post you made in post 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer
Not sure where the "enrichment" part is coming from. If a chemist refers to a "nitrox" mixture, he's speaking about a gas with only nitrogen and oxygen. That's the definition I've always assumed as well (even as applied to diving). I'm perfectly happy to call 18% (18% oxygen, 72% nitrogen) a "nitrox" blend. Could even see a potential use for such hypoxic nitroxes for deeper dives where you just don't want / can't get He, but want to limit O2 exposure.

For me "nitrox" != EAN

th4e last line "For me "nitrox" != EAN" is what i ws commenting on since you called 18/72 as nitrox and that nitrox=ean. if i missunderstood my appologies

regards

Quote:

For me "nitrox" != EAN

To quote another member: Click quote in the box under the members post and surround the text you want to include in the quote by the two quote tags and eliminate the rest.

For me "nitrox" != EAN.

When you do it this way anyone can click the link and go right back to the quoted post and because it's in a separate box in your post it's less confusing.

And you didn't misunderstand. Rainer said that "nitrox" = EAN and then subsequently he said nitrox is not EAN. That's called "troll bait" and is designed to make other posters scratch their heads and run to their keyboards in an attempt to set the guy straight. When they do that, Rainer can silently nod his head and chuckle because he was able to manipulate an anonymous person somewhere in the world into doing exactly what he expect him to do and that gives a perverse sense of satisfaction due to some sort of void in Rainer's personal life.

For me it helped me vent my frustrations during my divorce, nowadays I do it, well for the satisfaction of manipulating somebody somewhere on the internet.

Quote:
Not sure where the "enrichment" part is coming from. If a chemist refers to a "nitrox" mixture, he's speaking about a gas with only nitrogen and oxygen. That's the definition I've always assumed as well (even as applied to diving). I'm perfectly happy to call 18% (18% oxygen, 72% nitrogen) a "nitrox" blend. Could even see a potential use for such hypoxic nitroxes for deeper dives where you just don't want / can't get He, but want to limit O2 exposure.

For me "nitrox" != EAN

th4e last line "For me "nitrox" != EAN" is what i ws commenting on since you called 18/72 as nitrox and that nitrox=ean. if i missunderstood my appologies

regards

The symbol != means NOT EQUAL. Got it?

Rainer said that "nitrox" = EAN and then subsequently he said nitrox is not EAN.

Actually, in this case, I didn't say that. I said nitrox does not equal ("!=") EAN. Some aren't hip to math symbols.

Actually, in this case, I didn't say that. I said nitrox does not equal ("!=") EAN. Some aren't hip to math symbols.

My apologies.

slpvo7.gif

This thread got awesome fast.

You're all wrong. Unless you make it in a lab, there will be trace amounts of Argon, CO2, Neon, Helium, Methane (sorry, I ate beans last night), Krypton and Hydrogen in it. It is more properly called Nitroxarconehemekrypgen.

And, you have still avoided my question!.... Your certification level and experience with exotic mixes??? .... Too tough a question I suppose!

Without speaking for Rainer, this video still is me, but he took it (on the bottom). :wink:

25459_10150137837030655_881640654_11722644_7404717_n.jpg

I prefer =/=.

!= reminds me to much of programming. Shudder.

I did have a HP hose rupture, not sever so the reg still had working gas supply. I was at 65ft and it was no problem just going up and doing a surface swim back to the boat. I was with my wife at the time and didn't see a need to cause her alarm with all kinds of buddy breathing etc. I have had a couple of reg free flows one in a Scuba Pro and once in a Conshelf. Neither posed any real problem, I did haul a pony around years ago but never had a need to use it. I have donated my octopus a couple of times to resident air hogs, that's why I put a longer hose on it and again no issues occured. I picked another pony up at a yard sale and made book ends, maybe that was a waist but it made me smile.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom