what's in your save-a-dive kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

- Spare straps for mask and fins
- O-rings
- Leatherman tool
- Waterproof bandaids
- Spare contact lenses
- Hair bands (for girlfriend)
- Chapstick
- Alcohol wipes
- Tweezers
- Double D Snap Bolt
- DAN ID Cards
- Spare Mouth Piece
- Duct tape
- Zip ties
- $20
- Assorted batteries and O-rings for computer
- lighter

Dave (aka "Squirt")

OK, call me morbid, but in addition to the regular stuff, I've also included a card with all of my emergency info such as next of kin and phone #'s, medical insurance info, allergies to medications, religious preference and such. When ever I dive with someone new, I let them know it is inside the lid of my save a dive kit. It hasn't freaked anyone out yet.

Don't laugh...for salt water diving I bring vinegar along..

Mask straps, fin straps, cave line, electrical tape, duct tape, 550 cord, mouthpieces, zipties, Dramamine, Bonine, Rolaids, small wrenches, leatherman tool, o-rings of various sizes, dental picks, snorkel keepers, bolt snaps and various and sundry small items depending where we are going. There are four divers in my family....

I call my save-a-dive kit my OH S**T kit. :)

I've got a lot of crap:

O-rings of all sizes
2 extra fin straps
1 mask strap
Multi purpose tool
Spare regulator mouthpiece
Zip ties
Mask de-fog
Sudaphed
Asprin
Vicodin (if it hurts that bad...and yes, I have used it! Just three weeks ago in Belize as a matter of fact!)
Bandaids
Extra batteries for my dive computer
Bottle opener (you never know!)
Zipper lube :wink:
Clips
Contact solution
Spare pair of contacts
Spare mask
Hair ties
Spare ankle weights for quick weight fixes
Copies of C cards and DAN cards
Emergency contact info.

oh, I like the copy of c-card idea!

Any good ideas?
I have a wide assortment of o-rings, wrenches, mask straps, fin straps...
Anything else?
Don't forget CASH (local currency)!! It may sound strange, but you never know when you might need it.

For example - on a recent dive trip to Mexico, we stopped at a place to refuel the boat. Some two guys really needed to use the restroom, but there was a 10 peso charge. They had no money! Fortunately for them, I was able to cover their fee.

FWIW, one of those same guys had their night dive saved by me (at the same stop) when I was able to graft one of my spare fin straps to one of their fins.

Hoses - don't forget hoses, esp. a LPI hose.

My combination list :

Dive Checklist ( 2 pages )rev. 10 / 11 / 07 Equipment & Spares Necessories Adapter, DIN to YokeAlarm clockBC, or BP/ W & HarnessBaby shampoo 50/50 w/waterBatteries, computer / lights / cameraBags : SMB, lift, goody, catchBooties / Socks / BootsCalculator, pocketBulbs, dive lightCameras & equip't., w / film / memoryCompassCooler (s), ice & insulating layerComputer, & back-up guagesComb / brushDust caps :1st stage & inflator valves Clips, D-ringsExposure suit (s) & necessoriesDirections & travel preparationsFins Dry box, dry bagGaugesEyeglassesGear bagsFloat, flag, line, reelGloves & liners, & backup glovesID's :C-cards, DAN, ins., Passport, D/LHood( & copies of ID's, pref. laminated )Hoses : LP, HP & inflatorGlow (Cyalume ) sticksKnife & sheath, & / ShearsInflator nozzleLanyards & clips Jon lineLights Keys : car / room / locker, etc.Mask & anti-foggerLogbook & Dive tables : air / EAN / etc.Mirror, Dye, Whistle / DiveAlertMarine life ID bookMouthpiece, Regulator, spareMirazime / Sink the StinkPort plugs, 1st stageMoney : tips, food, boat, toys, etc.Regulators, Gauges, Octo holderRaingear & Sunblock, hat, sunglassesSlate & pencilReel (s), spools, Jersey ReelSnorkel & keeperSMB / Safety sausage , lift bagStraps, for mask & fins Screwdrivers, LargeTanks, FULL : main, Pony, stage Snacks, healthyTowel / chamoisTalc, unscentedWatch / bottom timerTarp & stakes, or mat (s)Weights & belt / harness / pocketsTickets ( boat, quarry, airline, etc. ) Tip money Toiletries ( hairbrush, TP, etc.) Tool bag, excavation tools Tub / tote w/line, for wet gear Water / drinks Zipper wax Repairs & MaintenanceMedical AquasealAdvil/Tylenol/MotrinBC cleaner / conditionerAntacid, Antidiarrheal & LaxativeLube : silicone / ChristolubeAntiseptic cleanser and padsCrayon, yellow tireBand Aids, waterproofCrescent wrench, 6" stainlessBenadrylMagnifying glass CPR pocket maskMatches, waterproofChap StickMulti-tool ( Leatherman / Swisstool )Cortisone creamNeoprene cementCotton swabsO-ring kit & brass picks Decongestants ( Afrin, Sudafed )Paper, lint-free ( eyeglass paper ) Dive accident insurance Patch kit, BC / drysuitEpi-pen / sting lotionPlastic bagsHat, jacket, swimsuit, sandals / shoesSandpaper (waterproof), ~ 600 gritInsect sprayScrewdrivers, smallMotion sickness medicineScuba Tool / hose & reg. toolsOxygen kitSewing kit w/ strong needle & threadPhone numbers, emergencyShock ( bungee ) cord Prescription medicines, as prudentSuperglueSnake bite kitSharpies, black & silverSunglassesTapes : duct, Teflon, elect.& maskingSunscreen, waterproof, SPF of 40 +Ties, Cable / Zip, nylonSwimmer's ear drops Tweezers & magnifying glassTape, waterproof, first-aid Triple antibiotic ointment Water, bottled ItineraryDive Plan Location ( s )Location Mission DepthTime & TimingTime Gas RequirementsTransportation Lodging AssignmentsMeals Money

save a dive kit:

on my boat:
an extra set of old dive gear.
plus the OH $#!T kit

shore diving:- the OH $#!T kit
cable ties
pipe clamps
surgical tube
fin mask straps
extra mask
leather man tool
30+ sizes of o-rings
extra knife
duct tape
batteries
buckels fins and bc
brass gate clips
cave line
nylon webbing
supper glue
silicone lube
and other random stuff

I carry quite a lot of stuff sometimes including a full set of spare gear as I am usually out with customers or students but I do not carry around what Cardshark does as my vehicle is probably not big enough to fit everything!
As for sending a text while underwater from a condom clad cell phone does not seem real as I was on a dive one time and one guy had his phone in a dry bag but he got no signal below the water!
The main things I would recomend to save a dive would be: Tank Valve O Rings, fat and thin, Dental pick to remove the o ring, Silicone lube, Adjustable wrench, Plyers, Blank plugs and Allan wrench, Knife, Zip Ties, Mouth Piece, Straps mask and fins, Vinegar for marine stings, Duck Tape, Hair bands, Baby Shampoo for mask defog, Clips and light rope, Bottle and can opener, Small flash light, Spare batteries for lights, gps and camera, CPR Face shield and rubber gloves, Band aids, Tyre inflator from Scuba to car, Lighter, Tweezers for removing stingy things and splinters all kept in a waterproof box!
Its better to take stuff and not use it rather than not have it and miss a dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom