What's next in equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to ask why you are against a drysuit. It works in any environment and can function as a bc if you can find a plate/STA/and harness.

On my shallow OW dives this year I plan to leave the wing at home and just use the suit, more streamlined and the more air in the suit the warmer you stay (to a point).

Anyway if your against a drysuit, get a wetsuit (a good one) dont skimp on it and make sure it fits like a second skin.

If I was starting all over buying gear I would do this:

-Drysuit
-SSbackplate/STA/Wing/Hog Harness
-Regulator (1st stage, 2nd stage, pressure gauge), Wrist Compass, Bottom Timer
-Regulator set #2 (1st stage, 2nd stage, long hose)

Thats simple, covers diving single tanks, double tanks, sidemount tanks, single tank w/ pony. Not that you plan to dive anything else besides a single tank.

Of course I would just rack up a credit card and buy everything all at once.

Of course I would just rack up a credit card and buy everything all at once.

Now THAT's a good idea :eek:hbrother: :shakehead:

I hope you are kidding...

If I could see into the future, I never would have bought a BC. I would have bought a Transpac II and wing.....

How much are you wanting to spend? From LP we have been getting Oceanic BC, Oceanic Sport Reg and octo and a Tusa console w computer for less than $700..
We have done this for each of our kids.

It depends on how often you dive, where you will dive, and how does current rented gear fit your body....

If you fit most rental equipment, then I would go regulator or computer (I bought as reg first, but followed with a computer within 3 months).

If you do lots of travel diving, get the regulator.

If you tend to dive around home, or the rental gear never seems to fit right, go with a BCD.

My preference would be: regulator, computer, then BCD. Lots of useful posts about making sure the computer does Enriched Air. Also, if you buy a newer computer, really think about buying the download cable now. I bought a computer a while back and never bought the cable and now cannot get the cable.

If you are going for middle of the line, you may be able to actually get a computer and reg setup pretty easily. Lots of local shops and online shops will have either a package, or will put one together... just a thought...

I'd go for the reg and console With SPG, depth, and bottom timer. Buy them from a LDS. Get to know the people there and tell them your looking for a BC. Maybe they will let you try a few different types or invite you to a Demo Day. I've heard more people complain about the fit of their BC than about their regs.
Save the computer till later. Using tables keeps you more in touch with your deco obligations. Become one with the tables, Pollywog.
Every dive is a deco dive...........

I'm jumping on the regs/computer bandwagon. When I talk with new divers who purchased their equipment, the most common regret I hear is over their BCD selection. This makes a good deal of sense, since it's the most subjective purchase to consider. Regs/computer selection is fairly straightforward: determine the bells and whistles and warranty/servicing you want, and balance against your budget. Bouyancy systems are more personal- you'll want to consider the above parameters, but also consider how a given piece of equipment fits.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, the advice to check out regs or a computer seems sound to me. Or, consider something that hasn't yet been suggested: a really nice dive light. Diving out here in CA, I've found that the quality of light I carry heavily influences my dive enjoyment. I doubt the situation is very different in North Carolina.

If you don't need to spend right away, then don't. Keep renting different gear from different shops, and discover over the next year what you like best. You're more likely to be truly happy with your purchase (that should last for a very long time) if you take your time up front. Additionally, if you keep saving up, you'll be able to afford BCD (or BP/W), regs, and computer all at once. This will likely result in a shop giving you a better deal overall, and provide a good starting place for a relationship with the shop you discover that you like best.

To those saying you don't need a BC system have you tried getting back to the surface from 110ft while wearing a wetsuit and 32lbs of lead or after you tore a hole in your drysuit and it is flooded?
Yea I know for years noone wore them blah blah blah

BC system first if you are a hard to fit size otherwise your reg system then a computer.
After 20+ years of working in the Dive Biz I know where rental reg repair falls on the "To Do" list!!!!! (somewhere after happy hour)

Back
Top Bottom