Whats the best way to get the ammonia taste out of fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidPT40

Contributor
Reaction score
Every once in a while, I really enjoy having a good fried fish sandwhich. However, thats sometimes ruined when the fish tastes really fishy. So does anyone have any advice on what to soak the fish in prior to frying, or any special preparation techniques? How do bars and restaraunts make their fried fish taste so good? Not a hint of fishy-taste.

You should not eat fish caught near the chemical or waste water plants.

Dave

Try soaking the fish in milk for a couple of hours or overnight in the fridge. Works like a charm.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Quit cleaning them with Windex.

If it smells like ammonia, it has gone bad. If it smells like fish, it has gone bad. Thats the problem with shipping and storing seafood, it does not keep and it spoils so very easy.

Restaurant fish that tastes good tastes that way because they use fresh fish. Once it starts to taste and smell "fishy", the fish has already been dead too long. There isn't any special preparation technique that I'm aware of that will make spoiled fish fresh again.

If you want good fish, the rule of thumb I follow is, "If you can smell it, don't buy it."

Voting with the others, "If you can smell it don't buy it".

Stick with fish that don't tend to have the oily/fishy taste, Walleye doesn't taste fishy neither did the Ahi Tuna steaks we had last week :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
Voting with the others, "If you can smell it don't buy it".

Stick with fish that don't tend to have the oily/fishy taste, Walleye doesn't taste fishy neither did the Ahi Tuna steaks we had last week :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

This is funny. I mean, I'm American too and basically Americans don't like "fishy" fish. But if you go to the Philippines, tuna, Mahi etc are the cheaper fish in the market because Filipiinos (at least in Iloilo province) like the fishy taste. If I could attach an image, I'd show you what I had for breakfast every morning while camping on the beach in Anani'i two weeks ago. Dried fish. Talk about "fishy tasting". but after the first bite, it's great...kind of like some cheeses.

Back
Top Bottom