What's the big attraction of Resorts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KOMPRESSOR:
-Their loss! Personally I love the process of planning new dive spots, figuring out the charts, finding a place to stay, actually go there and check it out, and if it's great then later bring your friends to show my newly found dreamspot. -Make our own meals!
No, my gain! While you're doing all your planning, figuring and finding, I just make a phone call and I'm done........ And make my own meals while on vacation? :lol2:

Roatanman, it couldn't have been said better!
But some people are just workaholics I guess. Poor fools :pity_part

My wife and I are both busy professionals but traveling is our thing. We are fortunate to be able to take a trip about every other month. Like RoatanMan, when we take dive trips we want to DIVE, 3-5 times per day. We typically do not do the meal plans because we love to wander into town and try the different restaurants. Cozumel, Grand Caymen, Utila are perfect example of where doing things a’ la carte works. In some areas this is not practical and I would have to put Roatan in this group. For serious divers COCO View is about as simple for diving as it gets, suit up walk 20yrds and you’re diving!

Many of us did and still do, the back pack thing, live in huts and it is great! When diving certain locations resorts and live aboards just make more sense for someone who really wants 4-5 dives a day.

I think some of the “slightly negative” comments in this thread are out of place for Scubaboard. Each of us dives and travels the way that best fits our life styles.

TruckDiver:
But some people are just workaholics I guess.

There is indeed a reason for ala carte, non AI, (all inclusive) options. Unfortunately this thread was initiated not for the sharing of information, but started for other peculiar reasons. But- if we might debate the original topic that was used as a mask...

Day Dive Operations and Guest Houses that are thick on Roatan's West End area are a great opportunity for younger, less affluent travelers to enjoy one of the last fronteirs of Caribbean travel at a reasonable cost... but you had better hurry!

When I was 18-28 I travelled the world, skiing (watch the movie "Endless Winter" for the guy in the silver sunglasses) and diving (look at 1970's vintage Skin Diver Mags) and staying up till dawn drinking beer and chatting up the girls. We didn't really know any better about the medical ramifications of dehydration, lack of sleep, residual alcohol and "other external stimulus" and how they affected our body chemistry when we went diving the next day. We were young, invincible and unaware. This is apparently inherent in that age bracket even today. God bless the youthful.

True enough, many of us divers, old and young, have noodled out that we must stay hydrated, avoid alcohol and get lots of rest, but then again... it's the islands, the beer is cold, and she sure looks good dancing all night in that dress!

The lure of the $5 hammock in the Bay Islands is strong. At the same time, many of this class of customer also is balancing their limited budget between diving and Salva Vida Beer. It's a lot easier to keep partying than it is to think about managing funds for a third dive for the next day.

It's all about what is important. Is it the "total vacation experience"? All hail any college age kid that would rather let it all hang out on the Bay Islands for cheap, rather than to go p*ss away 8x the dollars for a week long drunk at South Padre or Cozumel. The people that I see on West End will have great memories and real tales of adventure to tell. I wouldn't tarde one of the West End backpackers for any 10 of the indulged offspring shown on "E! Wild-On".

No one thing is for everyone. I was (and am) a self admitted nerd. When I started diving, I saw Mike Nelson and Cousteau on TV. I went and did that. Many of my friends went to New Orleans for Mardis Gras and came back with stories that were much more interesting to the masses. I dove in Incan wells, in rivers with carnivorous fish, into Japaneese submarines with skeletal remains.

We went skiing to world class places and slept in Colorado garages on cardboard or in Swiss cow barns on straw. We learned that if we drank less, we could afford a place that had showers, at least down the hall. Then, we joined the working world where vacations were paid for, and that the time off itself was the real commodity.

Many Europeans are attracted to the West End, certainly the younger world travellers. I have shared many of the same environments that they today frequent, even in my geezerhood. We prefer the land based options in the Galapagos, and we are usually the oldest in the crowd, and also the only native English speakers. We absolutely revel in this opportunity to be with young folks and get a glimpse at what is hip in 2005, and to wonder at the world that they have. A true magnet, in miniature, for the European crowd (mostly medium-affluent German) was Pepper's resort on the fabled Barbaretta island of the Islas de la Bahia (Bay Islands). If the original poster wasn't hawking something, that place as well as Bonacca Key (Guanaja) would have been mentioned as well. Those are the real adventures on the Bay Islands.

The non AI vacation is tough. Sure enough, our Galapagos trips are 1/3 the $ of any live aboard, and having done most all of the live aboards there- you can have them. We pick the ala carte backpacker version because it truly gives you a better view of the total Galapagos experience. There is so very much to see and experience on the Galapagos that warrants more than a live aboard trip. It is not easy, all the way from airport transfers to moving back and forth to the dive-op from lodging. In terms of the Bay Islands, this Galapagos analogy falls apart quickly...

Essentially, the Bay Islands have no real visible cultural heritage. There is a mismatch of disparate cultures, over shadowed by the Marley/Buffet vision of the Caribbean- which these islands, take my word for it, is not. This fantasy is provided as background for the consumption of Salva Vida and Flor de Cana.

One might visit the Garifuna village Punta Gorda, quite distant from the West End (1 hr by cab) and stare at the locals or go to one of the folkloric exhibitions that they put on for the cruise ship passengers who schlepp all the way out to see it. Otherwise, island culture is imported. Most of the land-owner class islanders have cousins in Cayman who share the same accent. The "Spanish" (as they are called) come over from the mainland to work. The "Blacks" come from many places also to work, and finally the Garifuna who are remaining from Caribbean transplantations. Make no mistake, this is a highly class oriented and structured society. Visit the town of Hotasparrow (quite close to West End) and tell me what you learn about island culture. Everybody fits into a place, and the tourist also has a place.

There is essentially nothing to do on the Bay Islands (in 2005) other than SCUBA (limited snorkeling) and drink. Those who are hawking a service or a product dependant upon your coming will paint a picture of miriad diversions. There is, I will agree, a Bojangles Chicken franchise and a miniature golf place that will let you drink beer while you negotiate the non-mechanized course. That's about it.

So either you're coming to dive, or you're coming to be (mildly) disappointed. This is not Cozumel South, it isn't Club Med on the cheap. If you want a great party atmosphere with a dab of diving, the non-AI is a great way- a good thing to pursue on the Bay Islands. The step beyond Roatan is Utila, but know that "laid back" is an understatement.

My nephew, a Junior at UT, goes to Coz and drinks like a pig for spring break, but then joins me in Roatan at an AI and does 5 and 6 dives a day. Balance.

There is no one thing for everyone, but be aware of any given proponent's experience base, resources available, and in the case of this thread: ulterior motivations.

Different strokes for different folks... oops, that's a phrase that probably has different meaning here. :wink:

When I'm on vacation, the less hassle the better, assuming I'm not giving up anything too significant.

The only reason I would stay at any resort is so others in my family could also be comfortable there, even if they weren't interested in diving. My wife, for example, has no interest in diving. My extended family includes several divers, but generally if we get together there will be even more people coming along who don't dive. That's one of the things that resorts can do is provide a comfortable place to hang out and other things to do for people who aren't there for the diving.

Otherwise, my preference would be to go someplace where I could rent a sailboat and live aboard and putter around on my own from one place to another. If I thought it was safe to do (and it isn't), I wouldn't mind camping on the beach in some of the places I used to know. In fact, half of the attraction of diving for me now is to go back to doing some of the stuff I did when I was younger, and the way I used to do it (living on the cheap and being uncomfortable most of the time). It's not easy to do.

TruckDiver:
No, my gain! While you're doing all your planning, figuring and finding, I just make a phone call and I'm done........ And make my own meals while on vacation? :lol2:

Roatanman, it couldn't have been said better!
But some people are just workaholics I guess. Poor fools :pity_part

like to cook and don't find it a chore.

We don't do all inclusives - anywhere, not just Roatan. I need to eat on my schedule, not the resort schedule and I need to eat what won't aggravate gastro-esophogeal reflux disease. I cook. Do the all inclusives you use open for breakfast at 5:30? That's when we eat our morning meal. Because of a gastrointestinal problem I have specific needs when it comes to what I can eat and when I can eat it. Eat at the later dinner sitting say 8 or 8:30? I can't go to bed until 1 or 1:30 in the morning. I prefer to hit the sack at 9 pm. Dietary restrictions because of GERD? No citrus, no tomatoes, no onions, no fried foods, no overly spiced foods, no alcohol, no carbonated beverages, no caffeine.

All inclusives are fine for some folks but not everyone. Just as on your own apartments and studios with kitchenettes are not for everyone. Not all of us are workaholics, some of just have requirements which are not met by many of the all inclusives.

DiversMom:
like to cook and don't find it a chore. I need to eat on my schedule, not the resort schedule ...Do the all inclusives you use open for breakfast at 5:30? That's when we eat our morning meal. ....I have specific needs when it comes to what I can eat and when I can eat it. Eat at the later dinner sitting say 8 or 8:30? I can't go to bed until 1 or 1:30 in the morning. I prefer to hit the sack at 9 pm. Dietary restrictions...? No citrus, no tomatoes, no onions, no fried foods, no overly spiced foods, no alcohol, no carbonated beverages, no caffeine.

All inclusives are fine for some folks but not everyone. Just as on your own apartments and studios with kitchenettes are not for everyone. Not all of us are workaholics, some of just have requirements which are not met by many of the all inclusives.

Good points all, but for other readers... Just as an aside, check out http://www.roatan.com/catalog/honduras/playa_miguel.htm which would allow for all of the above needs with daily delivery of groceries you select... and more, plus the bennefit of 24/7 unlimited diving at CoCoView.

The original poster talked about compromising budget and choice in favor of an AI resort and why people would chose an AI. As many posters have pointed out, there is a myriad of reasons for choosing independent travel vs. an AI. There are just as many reasons for choosing an AI v. independent travel.

I went to Roatan for the first time last year and opted for the independent route. This year I'm returning and doing the same.

Last year, I was a newly minted diver, having been certified in Thailand. I loved diving and wanted a quick diving vacation as I burned 7 weeks of vacation in South East Asia -- backpacking. (Although I did manage to stay in three 5* hotels during that stretch - one can only take so many roach parades across the bathroom floor.) Roatanman is right about the value of time eclipsing the value of money at a certain age.

Roatan appealed to me as it was relatively close to the U.S. (I was so done with 17 hour flights!) and it looked like a great place to dive. I looked into the AIs at that time, but because of my single status and because I actually prefer traveling alone (meet more people and get my "space" at the end of the day) I opted for the independent travel route.

I stayed in a $8/night room in West End. I met a ton of great people - many of whom are planning on meeting same time this year and did all the diving I could handle in an 8 day stretch. Now, before you conclude that I'm one of those young, less affluent, boozing backpackers, you should know I'm a white-collar type pulling in enough that I'm one of the few that had an economic incentive to vote for Bush in 2004 (not that I did). I simply like the choice, the attitude, and the relaxation aspect of doing my vacation on my time, at my pace, with whomever I please.

Because while I love to dive, when I leave my job and my home, I need the whole package of a vacation - that means I need time to dive, time to shoot the breeze, time to play cards, time to drink a Monkey La La or two, time to jot off a postcard to my toiling colleagues, time to daydream, and time to sleep in. First and foremost, it is my vacation.

If I were staying at an AI, the value seeker in me would want to milk it for everything I could which would leave me needing a vacation after my vacation. So, I'll strike a balance - I'll stay with the riff-raff in the West End and spend money on dinners out with my new friends, as much diving as I want, and on my non-diving day before I fly out, you can find me at Roatan's spa. I'll be the one with a fresh pedicure and contented grin at the airport.

As I stated in my disclaimer, there was a myriad of reasons for choosing one option over the other - this is just my .02.

Cheers,

--Sioux

SoSiouxme:
this is just my .02.--Sioux

Worth $10 any day. Well said.

Well an intetresting response which started exactly the discussion I was looking for. I would like to point out that my website is NON PROFIT, NON BUSINESS just providing information that I would have appreciated when I first went to Roatan. So when people are asking questions about getting to Roatan etc it is easier to direct to the website than keep writing out the same thing over and over.

Having said that I'm not sure many of the users of this board will benefit from the experience of Roiatan which I have to share. This board isn't the place for honest impartial advice - its an advert for coco view.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom