Whats the biggest _____ you have ever seen on a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pourcupine fish (actually 2 of them) one was at least 3 foot long the other slightly smaller. The first time diving Dalilah reef in Cozumel. Was with an old time dive guide and he said he never saw any bigger ones then that. Was back in 1995. Some things you never forget.
Always dive happy and safe :coffee:

www.aquaconnection.com

Thalassamania:
  1. There was the huge green moray off Sunset Hose in Grand Cayman back in the 1970s, I think they called him “Percy.” He was about 10 foot long.
  2. There are two really big Jewfish that tend to hang out under the Thunderbolt.
  3. Big White Shark off the Farallons, seem to remember he was about the size of a greyhound bus.
  4. Jellyfish up in the Arctic with a bell that was about eight feet across and tentacles that stretched perhaps 100 foot.
  5. Oceanic White Tip out in the Gulf Stream perhaps 12 foot.
  6. Goosefish more than six foot long on the bottom next to a tide guage we had to move.
  7. Giant Pacific Octopus up in Pugent Sound that had an arm span of about eight feet.
  8. Six Giant Bluefin Tuna that sped past us at Aden Rock in the Gulf of Maine.
  9. Sixgill Shark as big as our submersible off Bermuda.
  10. Gray Whale at the edge of the kelp, Monastery Beach, California.
  11. Manta's off Hawaii
  12. Whale Shark off the Solomon Islands
Maybe I'll think of others later.

That is a lot to brag about no doubt about it, you have seen much, what my Op was about is which species did you find that stuck out as the biggest of it's kind, the most amazing in the marine world you have observed.

tiger shark in the tilloo cut, while spear fishing (cumming the water). 15 feet I;d guess. I left rather quickly. later in the bar found out "he be name monty. monty no hurt you, mon"

The biggest thing I've seen has to be the Jewfish (Grouper) that hangs out at the Duane off of Key Largo. It's like seeing a VW bug swimming around, very cool!

I saw the largest Green Moray Eel I'd ever seen in Coz. The head size was giant, maybe 12" or better tall. I have a photo of him, but size is difficult to judge without a reference.

I saw a Giant Crab in Coz. The thing must have been 4' across, just amazing.

16 whale sharks in Galapagos over 17 dives - biggest at least 40 feet - 2 feet away!

Awesome trip in 2005.

I saw 2 of ~400 lbs groupers a month ago swimming around Spiegel Grove - it was awesome.

Carribeandiver:
I saw a 10 foot green eel with a diameter at least 12" in the Spooky Channel at Roatan. Saw big boy twice, once during the day and once at night.

Adding this in with the EDIT

I saw him with the instructor as I was doing my navigation dive for my AOW. We were alone and of course, all the other divers ribbed me about his size - accusing me of exaggeration - however, the instructor backed me up.
We, the instructor and I, saw him again doing our night dive for the AOW.
All the other divers and I planned on a Friday morning Spooky Channel shore dive where I would take them out where this eel lived but it rained Thursday night and the current was unbelieveable Friday morning so the tour got cancelled.
The owner of the resort - Ted at Bay Island Beach Resort - said the eel had been around for a while and they named him Snookems. I still call him Big Boy and hope to see him again when I go back.

I was thinking about posting about him too, till I read your post....I know him very well......The 2nd time we saw him was on a nite dive in the channel..I'm glad we had seen him a day or 2 before........You ought to hear Cam talk about ole snookems......

Mauifish:
I was diving off Red Rock in Maui some time ago when a friend and I came across a Giant Hawaiian eel, a species that is rare and is supposed to be the biggest species of eel in the world. It was @ 8 feet in length and swimming out in the open about mid-morning, obviously it had no fear of us due to it's size I suppose.
What is the biggest marine species you have observed on a dive and what was it?

...Now remember, everything is magnified underwater........We all must cut everything back about 25% but did see a BIG Jewfish on a nite dive @ Fantasy Island coming up the line between the airplane & the palapa .....lol........

Mauifish:
That is a lot to brag about no doubt about it, you have seen much, what my Op was about is which species did you find that stuck out as the biggest of it's kind, the most amazing in the marine world you have observed.
Sorry your question was:
Mauifish:
What is the biggest marine species you have observed on a dive and what was it? .
… and I misunderstood your intent, the plural vs. singular construct of the question being a bit fractured. In any case I’d have to split it between the Arctic Jelly which made me feel like I’d swum though a microscope and been shrunk down … it was really weird … looking through your mask at structures that you're not used to seeing except with a dissecting scope; and the Tunas … they are avatars of power and speed.

We were servicing some current meters, tide gauges and continuous plankton recorders out on Aden rock in the Gulf of Maine. The bottom there’s about 110 feet. It was a great day; one could just make out the surface from the bottom. A lot of herring were in the area for their late summer spawning. Down we went through a loose school to the tide gauges. It took about ten minutes to dump the data and reset the gauges; the light level was low enough that we needed our dive lights.

Our tasks done, we were getting ready to leave … in the blink of an eye there was a snap from an eerie deep green to pitch black. Mounds of herring pressed close in. I was blind. No gauges, no buddy, not even my dive light was visible. I raised my light, pointing straight toward my mask. The beam burst into a million mirrored reflections off the herrings’ scales. I took a slow deep breath and began to ascend. Carefully I maintained slight positive buoyancy. Neither could I see my gauges nor judge my upward progress by anything except the scintillations of my light reflecting off the herring that had closed tightly in upon me.

As quickly as the dark had closed in on me it suddenly was gone. My eyes were momentarily dazzled. I exhaled sharply and sank back into darkness. Another breath started me up slowly and this time as my head broke out of the tightly packed herring school, I exhaled gently and stopped my ascent. From my chin down and out as far out as I could see, there was a black mass of squirming fish so closely packed that there was little room even for water.

I rotated to my left through about ¾ of a turn. I could see one of my three comrades coming up out of the herring mass, perhaps twenty feet away. She ascended about ten feet and pitched back to horizontal, leveling out and smoothly neutralizing her buoyancy. A circular shaped motion of her light indicated she was fine, had seen me and inquired as to my status with that unique economy of the underwater “OK”. I brought my seemingly detached left hand up out of the darkness and responded with a circle of my light.

Suddenly she pointed jerkily to her left, arm stiff and outstretched. I swiveled my head right, and there is one of the most incredible sights I’ve ever witnessed. Six Giant Bluefin Tuna are moving toward us, in formation, the pass right between us. Each fish is the size of a dinner table that would seat eight. They’re moving fast yet appear to not be moving a muscle. They glide past us, each with a huge left eye that stutters on me for a fraction of a second and then moves on to seek it’s normal prey. We watched them almost disappear, circle right, and move to the other side of the herring school. Then they came right back by us and then went left to the other side of the sea mount.

The black shinny mass beneath us started to break up, the herring resumed more normal individual distances expanding their school upward and outward, once again enveloping me in darkness that slowly lighted to the deep green of the first part of out dive. I swam up to my teammate and trimmed out. We moved to the down line and ascended to our deep stop. Being well out of the lee of the sea mount the current was rather stiff so we tied off our Jon lines, waited a minute and then ascended to our 20 foot deco stop.

Decompression complete we signaled the Zodiac, the Coxswain waived us off as he was already heading to pick up our other two team mates at the alternate surface float. Once we were in the Zodiac everyone was talking excitedly about the Tuna, there had been a big school of them working the herring and every one of us had been blessed with a good long view of at least several of them.

diver 85:
...Now remember, everything is magnified underwater........We all must cut everything back about 25%.....lol........
yes, this is true, we did take that into consideration and judged it's length by measuring between rocks that it passed by. Many people do mis-judge size in their excitement. I do enjoy hearing other peoples stories of what they consider the best and biggest

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom